New build sounds wrong, but Loud

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I recently finished installing a stinger Heigh10 infotainment system in my Jeep and the sound quality is nowhere near what I thought it would be.

prior to saving up and purchasing the 6.5” speakers needed to install in the knee panels and soundbar of my new Jeep Wrangler, I researched a bit. What I was looking for was the comps or coaxles to get loud.
So, I got Polk audio db652s and matched them up with a us acoustics barabara ann.

i am extremely happy with the power output of the amp. I am also happy with the polks ability to get “loud”. In fact, I could barely handle adjusting the gains.

however,,, at lower volumes the sound is not what I expected. It almost sounds like the music is in a tunnel, or hollow. I am not sure how else to describe it.

the Heigh10 has an equalizer with a handful of adjustments, but I cannot seem to get it set anywhere close to sounding even decent.

could this be something I am missing on the amp?

- could it just be the choice of speakers? (I cannot imagine Polks sounding this bad)

- do I need to add a DSP?

use an RTA on your smartphone, play some pink noise and see what its doing
RTA on smartphone is your worst option.....using an RTA without a proper calibrated mic is pointless and usually creates more harm than good.....sorry bro but that is horrible advice

Reverse polarity?

i checked the polarity and it was not the issue. I did tinker with the gains and I am hopeful this is my issue. I have some more work to do on it, but there’s only so much time in a day.

i did find out the installers failed to connect the usb wire to the center console. And, creative is sending another mic/cord.

i checked the polarity and it was not the issue. I did tinker with the gains and I am hopeful this is my issue. I have some more work to do on it, but there’s only so much time in a day.

i did find out the installers failed to connect the usb wire to the center console. And, creative is sending another mic/cord.

Well damn. Hope it's something simple.

however,,, at lower volumes the sound is not what I expected. It almost sounds like the music is in a tunnel, or hollow. I am not sure how else to describe it.
I get this same effect when the RCAs are partially inserted. I will try it out later at high volume to see if it is able to play loud whilst partially inserted.

I get this same effect when the RCAs are partially inserted. I will try it out later at high volume to see if it is able to play loud whilst partially inserted.

I thought this might be the issue. But I checked. And,, since the Barbara Ann is new, and obviously a quality amp, the rca inputs were tight. I am a little curious if the other sides are connected fully. They did miss the USB port.

Jeep goes back in next Friday to get the mic replaced, usb plugged in, and possible software updates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...