Type R Thread (Please don't lynch me just help me out)

yes they do take the rubber boot off and the 5 holes around the bottom plate are pole vents. if a 2" coil can take 900 rms they have to have some cooling. and not to mention the suspension is indestructible on the type r's they will never blow from mechanical failure no matter what the power or the box, thermal first. They are loud for the money and the power just admit it.
Yeah those are vents but not in the side of the pole piece to cool the coil. They are a standard pole peice. It's hollow but there is nothing forcing air over the coil. They CANNOT take 900 watts. They are cheap. I'll give you that but they are sloppy and nothing special at all. Admit that. How does vents in the bottom of the motor contradict ANYTHING I've said? It doesn't unless you're simply not understanding what I'm typing.

If you say so mr. troll //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
So because I come in here and state facts I'm a "troll"? How is the post you made that I just quoted not a troll post? Pot and Kettle reference.

So because I come in here and state facts I'm a "troll"? How is the post you made that I just quoted not a troll post? Pot and Kettle reference.
OP didnt ask if Type Rs are **** or not...he asked if he should keep his 12 or go for 2 10s.

obvious_troll.jpg

They do have engineered cooling which flows air through the coil not just push it back and forth. They can take 900 clamped all day. They are the best selling subs of all time. Name a way to get to 150 cheaper than a 160$ 15

They do have engineered cooling which flows air through the coil not just push it back and forth. They can take 900 clamped all day. They are the best selling subs of all time. Name a way to get to 150 cheaper than a 160$ 15
Depends what car you have. a type r 15 won't get most people to 150.... FAR from it. Does the best selling sub of all time mean it's the best sub or just the best marketed? Also, I'm going to need to see some sort of evidence that they have this magic engineering. Let's also see some evidence of a type r clamped at 900watts taking it for a couple of minutes.

I have used a pair of Type R 12's on a clamped 3600w without any problems. The cooling may not be the best on the planet, but it is effective and if you blow them you're doing something wrong. I have heard so many people say they sound terrible and yet mine manage to sound good and get ridiculously loud so I'd have to say the install is the problem and not the speaker. Sure there are better speakers out there, but for the money they are very good.

I have used a pair of Type R 12's on a clamped 3600w without any problems. The cooling may not be the best on the planet, but it is effective and if you blow them you're doing something wrong. I have heard so many people say they sound terrible and yet mine manage to sound good and get ridiculously loud so I'd have to say the install is the problem and not the speaker. Sure there are better speakers out there, but for the money they are very good.
You might be the master a building boxes, but you'll have to forgive me if your opinion on type r's doesn't defeat my argument. Let's see some proof of that 3600w on 2 type r 12's. Until then... BS.

I took some crappy pictures with my camera phone. It still proves the point I was making about the cooling and also the voice coil.

Here is proof that it's a type r.

typerproof.jpg

Here is proof that it's a 12"

diameter.jpg

Here is proof that it uses a 2" coil.

coildiameter.jpg

Here is the gap OD to OD. I went OD of the metal on the top plate just to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's still about 1/4 inch shy of 2.5".

od-od.jpg

Here are two shots of no cooling holes drilled in the pole piece to force air across the voice coil.

typernocooling.jpg

nocooling.jpg

Here are two shots of the holes on a T3 TSS just for an example of what I mean.

t3coolingexample.jpg

t3example2.jpg

Who said I don't believe? I've seen them and know fully well what they do. They type R does not have them and if you put it in a pole piece that does not have holes drilled in the side of it for cooling you're really only creating a lot of compression and not any cooling. Please pay more attention to what I'm typing instead of what you THINK I'm typing.If you plug a pole piece then there is no way for air to escape the motor if it does not have these holes drilled in the side.
I never said anything about holes in the side or not as i do not know particualrs on a Type R motor, i simply said a blocked pole vent can help with cooling. What i said was not wrong what-so-ever.

Why would someone pay that much for an Alpine with only a 2" coil, i guess name goes a long way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I never said anything about holes in the side or not as i do not know particualrs on a Type R motor, i simply said a blocked pole vent can help with cooling. What i said was not wrong what-so-ever.
You and I should probably not be arguing because we have no difference in opinion and only a communication error. Pole piece blocking will only help cool the coil better when these holes are present. WIthout something blocking the pole, air moves right past these holes and up under the cone/dustcap. WITH something blocking, air is FORCED through these holes directly across the coil and you get better cooling. If you block the pole piece and there are none of these holes, you will get WORSE cooling. I think you'd agree with that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.