Need 2 10' subs to replace current subs

STIorDIE
10+ year member

Hey guys. I'm an audio noob and just picked up this setup all for $100. Rockford Fosgate P8002 Amp with Subs in Box. I was looking to replace both subs with a matching set since one of them is cracked. I'm looking to spend no more than $500. He has 1 channel hooked to each sub at 2 ohms. I'll also be running these through a kenwood kdc-x994. What subs would you suggest? I listen to mostly rock, punk, metal, and rap.

So far I'm considering the Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D210, soundstream picasso, and JL Audio 10W3v3-2

Well if ur gonna spend up to 500 on subs then ur gonna want a different box, and youl get much more output that way. Also what are you wanting sound quality, killer bass to piss off ppl and impress your friends. What? Also not much point in spending a ton on new subs and keeping that amp which will under power them.

400x2 @ 2 ohm is plenty of power imho. Not everyone needs 3krms and a battery bank to go boom //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

But as on1wheel01 mentioned, it'd help to know if you want sound quality or to be loud.

As far as quality, Image Dynamics makes a nice selection of woofers that can excel with that power.

Also, i second the notion that you should build a new box to optimize whatever subs you do get. Materials shouldn't cost more than 30-40$

hmm. i'm looking for mostly sound quality but something that'll go boom. Whats the max rms i should go on the subs if i'm gonna be running 400rms at 2 ohms from the amp. I don't want to be blowing out my subs.

hmm. i'm looking for mostly sound quality but something that'll go boom. Whats the max rms i should go on the subs if i'm gonna be running 400rms at 2 ohms from the amp. I don't want to be blowing out my subs.
The amp will do 800 watts rms @ 4 ohms bridged. I'd probably do a 15" IA Flatlyne if I were in your shoes...

i got recommended some jbl gt510s rated at 275 rms at 4 ohms and they're on sale for $70 each. Any opinions on these subs. Would I be underpowering them since my amp is 200 rmx at 4 ohms?

I underpower about everything I run. It will not hurt them. What blows the subs with a small amp is clipping. The gain is turned up to high sending a distorted signal to the subs. The amp is running out of power which damages subs and will eventually shorten the life of the amp. Whatever you do build your own box, have a local member do it or something. It is not complicated at all. Just make a sealed box. Start a thread and folks will design one for you with the measurements of your car. Take the list to lowes if you don't own a saw. They charge a fee to cut I think.

Years ago if you wanted sq you went with 8s. If you wanted sql you gave up a little sq for volume. 8s could bounce back quick, 10s a hair slower. 12s were kind of dogs until the pioneer impp came out. Today if you hear 10's are for sq it is hogwash. That 15 misfit recomended will outdo a lot of subs out there plus have more spl. Personally I still run a lot of 10s because I want low spl. But today there are 18 and 21 inch subs for sq that are as accurate as the 10s I run. For the name game check out those listed along with eclipse, sundown, titanic mkIV, shiva, ed, diamond and used brahmas to list a few. You are not going to get a lot JL sugestions due to the price vs. product. For a sql setup with huge bass and a sub that can handle the bpm of metal a W7 is hard to beat. I would still go with the incriminator misfit suggested though. w3 are not in the same category as the rest that folks have suggested. And they are better than the others you listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mdf from lowes $32(well it is here) bottle of tite bond 2 around $7 for small bottle but i buy by the gallon so it's 18. Screws if u want to use them $7, caulking of some kind $3. Not quite sure how u come up with 150 or what the hell ur using.

yeah where are you buying your supplies is the better question lol its righht about 50/60 to build a box

unless your building a box like mine that is 10cubic feet then it just jumps up to about 100

Where in the hell do you guys buy supplys to make boxs I'm building one and supplys are gonna be $150+
I got my hands on a 58x38" sheet of 1" oak today. Free of charge. I'll use it as a desk until I build a wall. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.