Tweeter Spheres - pics and examples

beauty man cant wait to get these in my jeep //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i'm happy with them. i'll mail them on monday.

the angle mounts will have to wait. i'll just cut a 1-1/2" PVC coupler (same O.D. and I.D. as the caps) at a 40 deg angle with my miter saw. but i didn't get to the store this weekend. so i'll mail them separately, if you are still interested. plus, you can verify the color first.

the reason i chose this location and angle (even though i commonly don't like sail panels) is three-fold

1. the path length is almost identical to the woofers. simplifies T/A

2. the owner wanted a single-seat car with detail highs. he will need to attenuate the driver tweeter to properly place the sound stage.

3. angle and stem length should help with sound stage overall. should be wide and properly centered (with some T/A and level setting).

i would not use these locations for a two-seat car.

i'm happy with them. i'll mail them on monday.
the angle mounts will have to wait. i'll just cut a 1-1/2" PVC coupler (same O.D. and I.D. as the caps) at a 40 deg angle with my miter saw. but i didn't get to the store this weekend. so i'll mail them separately, if you are still interested. plus, you can verify the color first.
sounds good to me man

I hope this isn't to dumb of a question, but do they need to be spaced so far from the sail panel to be effective? They look kinda weird to me sitting out so far.

yes. the point is to reduce diffraction - which is a group of early reflections. having a tweeter close to a reflecting plane or edge is what we are trying to avoid.

closer in and they are much less effective. what looks good and what sounds good are rarely the same

Hey @keep_hope_alive
I am working on buying a set now. Have no idea what I am gonna end up getting, BUT I am down to send you my tweets and my pillars if you would really make some spheres. I want to do some, but really dont have the tools to do it properly.

Oh, and currently may pick up an older Polk MOMO set.

Other sets I am looking at are the CXS Image Dynamics, Kicker QS, the new Polk MOMO. But if I could hustle up the money, I would love to run the CDT 3 ways, but would need even more fabricating for the midrange.

some tweeters wont mount in spheres. the CDT ES-010 is an example, the grill won't come off and it's too large. had to make PVC caps for it.

you want a tweeter that can be taken down to just the grill and housing, no extra flanges. no larger than 1-1/8" diameter. some tweeters come with several mounting cups and flanges for surface or flush mounting. those are the best kind since the housing can be removed. you want a tweeter with an integral grill. grill-less tweeters require additional fabrication.

some tweeters wont mount in spheres. the CDT ES-010 is an example, the grill won't come off and it's too large. had to make PVC caps for it.
you want a tweeter that can be taken down to just the grill and housing, no extra flanges. no larger than 1-1/8" diameter. some tweeters come with several mounting cups and flanges for surface or flush mounting. those are the best kind since the housing can be removed. you want a tweeter with an integral grill. grill-less tweeters require additional fabrication.
Oh dang, thats a lot of restrictions!

Any idea if these will work?

Polk Audio MOMO MM6 6 3/4 Championship Performance component speakers | eBay

Think Nylon or Delrin as a material would work well?
as a replacement for wood? sure, there is nothing magical about using solid wood other than it is easy to work with, finishes nice, and is free of resonance.

i would love to see a company offer a Delrin sphere made for their tweeter.

Not sure if the tweeters I have will benefit Alot or work well in a spere but I had one of our engineers do a solid works design so were gonna try and print one of these spheres out. 3d printer does have its uses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.