tweeter crackling problem

Have you checked the settings on your amp?head unit?ground wiring to be solid?Voltage setting on the amps rcas/signal in
I turned te gain to 0 and input to just over half, ive tried adjusting it with my friend listning and it still cracks, the head unit is a pioneer 80prs, The ground on the head unit is solid, same goes with my amp, the rca's are new kicker x series.I do only have one speaker connected to the amp so far, could that be any part of it? I bought the speakers new also, same as the amp and head unit.

I turned te gain to 0 and input to just over half, ive tried adjusting it with my friend listning and it still cracks, the head unit is a pioneer 80prs, The ground on the head unit is solid, same goes with my amp, the rca's are new kicker x series.I do only have one speaker connected to the amp so far, could that be any part of it? I bought the speakers new also, same as the amp and head unit.
Sounds like everything is being done right so far..You might take out the rca on the side that is not wired up, and see if it makes a difference till you get it wired up.But you might need to check your setting on the HU,and the HTZ settings on the amp, and hu as well.whats the Amp grounded to?Where is it grounded?Listening to one side shouldnt make a difference,whlie hooking it up,and the other not,It should still perform, as it should sound while both rt, and left are hooked up,regardless

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

You may have a bad amp??Sound crackling when you adjust the gains?

Sounds like everything is being done right so far..You might take out the rca on the side that is not wired up, and see if it makes a difference till you get it wired up.But you might need to check your setting on the HU,and the HTZ settings on the amp, and hu as well.whats the Amp grounded to?Where is it grounded?Listening to one side shouldnt make a difference,whlie hooking it up,and the other not,It should still perform, as it should sound while both rt, and left are hooked up,regardless 

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

You may have a bad amp??Sound crackling when you adjust the gains?
It's a 2 channel amp, I had speakers before on it and they didnt make any crackling noise except 1 speaker because it was bad which I sent back, the amps grounded to a bold under the carpet, which I sanded around it lightly to get better contact. I try putting the amp to full filter and to high pass and it still doesn't change anything. My front filter settings on my head unit are a 12db slope at lower frequencys and cut off at 80hz But still I wouldn't think it would send low freqencys to the tweeter. I'm thinking it's a frequency thing. It makes the same sound my temporary speakers I bought made when I decided to wire the tweets to the stock wiring instead of through the high pass filter. I connected it through the filter and my old speakers sounded fine.

Thank you for the help by the way, I'm sure it's not easy to try and pinpoint a problem when you aren't there to here it or see it for yourself
Very hard indeed.On the forum, one can only give suggestions to begin with/start ruling out the issue..Thanks

Your tweeters are distorting, when you say crackling correct?

Check your settings, you may be giving the tweeters too much power at frequencies they do not want to play, or have them set without enough of a slope on the xover setting. Do you have your amplifier set of full range then you are relying on the passive xover to do all of the work? Set the xover on the amplifier over to HPF and set it near 100Hz with whatever slope and play with it from there. Also, turn the gain down on the amplifier and turn the volume up to get where you want it. It sounds like you might be clipping when turned up, and tweeters will let you know of that happening before mid-drivers or woofers will let you know via sound.

^

agreed. turning the gain up adds to the noise floor.

if it re-occurs, since your hu is pioneer, try grounding the rcas to the hu as you may have popped the pico fuse. do a search on pico fuse on pioneer hu

Your tweeters are distorting, when you say crackling correct?Check your settings, you may be giving the tweeters too much power at frequencies they do not want to play, or have them set without enough of a slope on the xover setting. Do you have your amplifier set of full range then you are relying on the passive xover to do all of the work? Set the xover on the amplifier over to HPF and set it near 100Hz with whatever slope and play with it from there. Also, turn the gain down on the amplifier and turn the volume up to get where you want it. It sounds like you might be clipping when turned up, and tweeters will let you know of that happening before mid-drivers or woofers will let you know via sound.
I have it set to highpass, the gain is way down, upon more listening, the noise is still there, but for some reason I can turn the input up on the amp without it causing distortion at lower headunit volume even though it gets louder, but when turning the volume up on the headunit once I get to around 30 on my headunit and up, it starts to crackle. There is also a lot of noise when the system is turned on even at 0 volume, that hissing sound kinda.

Yeah, that constant noise is because your gain is turned way up. It is a constant hiss type sound that does not change correct?

Your problem is weird indeed... There are a couple things just not adding up. There is no ground loop, but an instant crackling type distortion through your tweeters?

Have you tried a constant high frequency test tone BTW? Just to see if it is your music by chance. And what exactly do you have your settings at on your amplifier and your head unit?

At this point it almost sounds like a piece of equipment is not right *eek*

I have it set to highpass, the gain is way down, upon more listening, the noise is still there, but for some reason I can turn the input up on the amp without it causing distortion at lower headunit volume even though it gets louder, but when turning the volume up on the headunit once I get to around 30 on my headunit and up, it starts to crackle. There is also a lot of noise when the system is turned on even at 0 volume, that hissing sound kinda.
You probably are pushing too much volume to them from the head unity. My tweets do this too if I don't set it right.

Problem is tweeters are extremely sensitive to voltage, and a head units voltage steps are different from the amps gain, the gap between increments of volume on the head unit start to get bigger and bigger the higher in volume you go.

Mine do it even when my gains are all the way down. How I fix it is I run my RCA front out to tweets, and rear outs to doors, that way I can fade to the rear, which means decreasing voltage from the front outs/tweets.

That's how mine are set up anyway. But yea, your putting too much gain/volume/voltage to them, their too sensitive, you need to decrease the volume/gain/voltage to your tweets

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.