tweeter crackling problem

Callingindogs
10+ year member

I installed my new Hertz hsk 165xl's in my right door today and after finishing it, it makes a crackling noise when I turn it up (it's powered by a rockford t400-2 power series amp) The way I wired it since it's impossible to run wire from inside the car to the door without drilling a hole in the door is I connected it after the wiring harness connects between the head unit and the harness, I unplugged the right speaker power and ground wires and connected that together and ran it to the back where my amp is, then from there I put a connected on the ends that came out that connected to the stock speaker (wire gauge is probably around 16) and connected it to my speaker wire I bought, ran that to my crossover it came with, then one to the tweeter on -2db and connected the woofer. If what I wrote at all makes sense, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong or what's going on? Thank you! (Also, only the right one is installed not the left if that makes any difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed my new Hertz hsk 165xl's in my right door today and after finishing it, it makes a crackling noise when I turn it up (it's powered by a rockford t400-2 power series amp) The way I wired it since it's impossible to run wire from inside the car to the door without drilling a hole in the door is I connected it after the wiring harness connects between the head unit and the harness, I unplugged the right speaker power and ground wires and connected that together and ran it to the back where my amp is, then from there I put a connected on the ends that came out that connected to the stock speaker (wire gauge is probably around 16) and connected it to my speaker wire I bought, ran that to my crossover it came with, then one to the tweeter on -2db and connected the woofer. If what I wrote at all makes sense, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong or what's going on? Thank you! (Also, only the right one is installed not the left if that makes any difference)
if I understand correct. there is a wire harness that takes all the wires from in the car to the door? so no grommet to run speaker wire through. then you spliced in to the speaker wire from the harness to wire up the mids. am i right?

if I understand correct. there is a wire harness that takes all the wires from in the car to the door? so no grommet to run speaker wire through. then you spliced in to the speaker wire from the harness to wire up the mids. am i right?
Yeah that's correct, from the door where the factory wire comes out I connected it to the cross over then out the cross over to the woofer and tweeter.

I pulled off the rubber hose(boot) the harness runs through and then threaded new wire through. You can use clothes hanger type wire to push through it to pull new wire through. Crackling might be a loose or intermittent touching of the wires to each other or a ground. You may have pulled the wire a little and it scraped on something sharp in the dash or door.

I pulled off the rubber hose(boot) the harness runs through and then threaded new wire through. You can use clothes hanger type wire to push through it to pull new wire through. Crackling might be a loose or intermittent touching of the wires to each other or a ground. You may have pulled the wire a little and it scraped on something sharp in the dash or door.
This sounds about right.It is best to run good solid wiring to the new speakers,to the xover,and back to an amp if you have an amp.With those speakers, its best to run an amp to get the best sound/performance out of them.rewire the speakers properly with 16-14ga wire,and dont half-azz it, or the results end up as you have encountered...poor performance.

This sounds about right.It is best to run good solid wiring to the new speakers,to the xover,and back to an amp if you have an amp.With those speakers, its best to run an amp to get the best sound/performance out of them.rewire the speakers properly with 16-14ga wire,and dont half-azz it, or the results end up as you have encountered...poor performance.
I do have them powered off an amp, I only use the stock wire from inside the car to outside the car which is 16 gauge then the wire I bought is 14 gauge. Sorry if I have trouble explaining things i'm fairly new to all of this.

You need to run the same gauge wire from the speaker to the crossover,and back to the amp,if you want the performance of the expensive speakers you bought, or they will perform poorly,and may possibly get damaged due to clipping issues.

You need to run the same gauge wire from the speaker to the crossover,and back to the amp,if you want the performance of the expensive speakers you bought, or they will perform poorly,and may possibly get damaged due to clipping issues.
So i'll have to find a way to get the wire into the door from the cabin?

So i'll have to find a way to get the wire into the door from the cabin?
Be best,if you want them to perform good.I took my doors off and drilled a hole in the door, and in the cabin area, and used a grommet for both holes,and sealed with silicone.Took me a couple days by myself,and also but deadner on the doors, while I had them off,made a hell of a difference in sound, and lowered road noise,to hear the sound a bit better

Be best,if you want them to perform good.I took my doors off and drilled a hole in the door, and in the cabin area, and used a grommet for both holes,and sealed with silicone.Took me a couple days by myself,and also but deadner on the doors, while I had them off,made a hell of a difference in sound, and lowered road noise,to hear the sound a bit better
there is a little hole that goes into my cabin so I ran the wire that comes directly from amp into the door than into the crossover. Still the crackling persists, what could it be now? I checked all my connections and they're all secure and tight, ground is tight too.

Run new wires to the speaker,is all I can tell you..You are still half azzing the install.IMO
How's it half assed? I'm not using any of the stock wiring anymore, I'm running 16g silver tinned ofc copper wire directly from the amp to the crossover, then using that same nvx wire from the crossover to the tweets, and from the cross over to the woofers. It can't be the wiring, I've checked and triple checked the wiring, nothin touching, showing, weak, there has to be another factor in this, I'm thinking maybe frequency? But the crossover should fix that right?

How's it half assed? I'm not using any of the stock wiring anymore, I'm running 16g silver tinned ofc copper wire directly from the amp to the crossover, then using that same nvx wire from the crossover to the tweets, and from the cross over to the woofers. It can't be the wiring, I've checked and triple checked the wiring, nothin touching, showing, weak, there has to be another factor in this, I'm thinking maybe frequency? But the crossover should fix that right?
Have you checked the settings on your amp?head unit?ground wiring to be solid?Voltage setting on the amps rcas/signal in

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.