Trying to decide which subwoofer to get

Next tool you need is an SPL meter then. My Kenwood is 0-35. For 90% of music it never goes above 30. 32 for stuff with low record levels. 34 for really bad recordings.
Maybe later in life.

Right now, I'm more than broke //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

A square wave causes it to see full power longer at the peaks and it isn't moving at the time to cool itself.
Still moving 30 times per second, but it's seeing more peak power without more movement

I'm saying it's seeing more power without cooling more when it gets a square wave
A clipped sine waveform is not a map of the speaker cone's motion. You are letting the notion of cone motion and speaker cooling confuse you. A clipped signal hurts a speaker not by some voodoo cone motion quirk or shadowy watts that dont help move the cone, but simply from the drastic rise in amplifier output (which usually causes failure via thermal issues, but certainly can cause over excursion as well).

Read this article: Speaker Failure Analysis

Some highlights:

"The hazard with allowing an amplifier to clip is NOT that there is anything inherently evil about a clipped (or square) audio frequency wave but simply that the effective power output has increased - often dramatically!"

"More power always equates to more heat - never less! This demonstrates quite clearly that the idea of using bigger amplifiers to "prevent speakers from failing" is just silly - it does no such thing, and never did."

A clipped sine waveform is not a map of the speaker cone's motion. You are letting the notion of cone motion and speaker cooling confuse you. A clipped signal hurts a speaker not by some voodoo cone motion quirk or shadowy watts that dont help move the cone, but simply from the drastic rise in amplifier output (which usually causes failure via thermal issues, but certainly can cause over excursion as well).

Some highlights:

"The hazard with allowing an amplifier to clip is NOT that there is anything inherently evil about a clipped (or square) audio frequency wave but simply that the effective power output has increased - often dramatically!"

"More power always equates to more heat - never less! This demonstrates quite clearly that the idea of using bigger amplifiers to "prevent speakers from failing" is just silly - it does no such thing, and never did."
It's still seeing that peak power longer than the quick peaks of the average sine wave.

I've got to go in a few minutes, but I could read that some other time

It's still seeing that peak power longer than the quick peaks of the average sine wave.
A more accurate way to look at it is the area under the squared waveform is greater than that of a pure sine wave (which represents the power).

You are correct that the flat of the waveform represents the peaking of voltage, but cone motion continues via momentum and suspension force.

I think the bigger point here is, the OP is asking about a sub for a 1000 watt amplifier. How to push a 95xx to its extreme limits is an interesting discussion, but not really on topic. (guilty of it myself and bowing out now, just saying)

I see things are well under control here.

As you were.

Anyway, where the fuck you been at Audioholic? Kinda missed you broseph.

Some highlights:

You're pissing up the rope trying to explain anything to this kid. He has absolutely all the answers.

A more accurate way to look at it is the area under the squared waveform is greater than that of a pure sine wave (which represents the power).
You are correct that the flat of the waveform represents the peaking of voltage, but cone motion continues via momentum and suspension force.

I think the bigger point here is, the OP is asking about a sub for a 1000 watt amplifier. How to push a 95xx to its extreme limits is an interesting discussion, but not really on topic. (guilty of it myself and bowing out now, just saying)
Ok, that does make more sense.

Most of the active threads lately have gotten off topic

You're pissing up the rope trying to explain anything to this kid. He has absolutely all the answers.
I don't claim to know everything. I do appreciate comments from someone as knowledgeable as audioholic though

Ok, that does make more sense.
Most of the active threads lately have gotten off topic

I don't claim to know everything. I do appreciate comments from someone as knowledgeable as audioholic though
LOL So when he tells you the same thing I've been saying it's now valid?

The sub says its 1000 watts and the amp was only at half power so it was only pushing out 500 watts... so i was no where near the max RMS of the sub and the max wattages is suppose to be 3000 for the type r's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.