Noob with which subwoofer question

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys,

I've got a question about replacement of my 8'' Mark Levison subwoofer in my Lexus which is broken.

Research on it is difficult, there are literally no markings on the sub itself apart from the ML branding and all I've learnt from Lexus forums is that the sub is 14-16 ohms.

I'm looking for a replacement to fit into the existing space, so 8'', I was thinking a DVC 8 ohm to make 16 ohms and running that, I'm not an audio guy so I'm asking for advice as to wether or not that is the way to do it?

I'm also after a recommendation for a sub, the ML one from a Lexus dealer is $500.

I'm not paying that for an 8''paper cone sub with a tiny magnet.

Hey guys,
I've got a question about replacement of my 8'' Mark Levison subwoofer in my Lexus which is broken.

Research on it is difficult, there are literally no markings on the sub itself apart from the ML branding and all I've learnt from Lexus forums is that the sub is 14-16 ohms.

I'm looking for a replacement to fit into the existing space, so 8'', I was thinking a DVC 8 ohm to make 16 ohms and running that, I'm not an audio guy so I'm asking for advice as to wether or not that is the way to do it?

I'm also after a recommendation for a sub, the ML one from a Lexus dealer is $500.

I'm not paying that for an 8''paper cone sub with a tiny magnet.
Should be on par with your ML sub to be honest. 500 dollars for that is BS.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210ho-8-8-reference-ho-subwoofer-8-ohm--295-459

here are other choices. Make sure you check mounting depth to make sure it fits.

Subwoofer Drivers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 14

Wow! Thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So, wiring an 8ohm DVC to both coils will give me 16ohms?

I really don't want to stress the amp which attracts a bigger premium than the sub and has no alternative (as I understand it).

Really appreciate the advice and links which I'll check out now, what a great forum.

I'm a long, long way from the US, so will need a company that can ship internationally.

I'll wait for the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer to return to stock and order that.

After removing the original sub, there is actually a fair bit of space in the cavity.

Many people have this issue and replace with 10'' alternatives but I prefer to keep everything as close to OE as possible for this particular vehicle.

Wow! Thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
So, wiring an 8ohm DVC to both coils will give me 16ohms?

I really don't want to stress the amp which attracts a bigger premium than the sub and has no alternative (as I understand it).

Really appreciate the advice and links which I'll check out now, what a great forum.

I'm a long, long way from the US, so will need a company that can ship internationally.

I'll wait for the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer to return to stock and order that.

After removing the original sub, there is actually a fair bit of space in the cavity.

Many people have this issue and replace with 10'' alternatives but I prefer to keep everything as close to OE as possible for this particular vehicle.
If it's dual 8 ohm, wire both coils in series to get 16.

May I ask what NEO is?Please excuse the noob question.

Is it a type of magnet material that allows it to be small but still powerful?
Neo is short for neodymium. It is the strongest natural permanent magnet.

It's more expensive than normal magnets, but is both lighter and stronger. It takes less of it to equal the strength of a normal magnet. This allows neo motors to be smaller too.

I'm running all neo in my truck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.