Trying to upgrade, advice before I buy

Participant count
  • Participant list

QKA

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi Car Audio!
This will be my first time working on my car audio, so definitely need a good forum to start things off on the right foot.
I have a general sense of how to get things done, but need to make sure it makes sense first, and your advice is appreciated.

I already have installed in my 2015 vw gti se with Fender system, focal 2-way speakers in all 4 doors (acx-165, 60w rms, 4ohm). They are lacking. Probably need an amp, maybe needs a LOC or DSP to correct the signals. My system right now has very high tweeter output, and virtually no mid bass. The factory sub sounds terrible and produces more like vibration noise than actual sound on certain frequencies. Trying to stay with stock head unit, which playing with the EQ on there doesn't really fix the problem.

So I would like to discuss my plan to see if this makes sense.

I would take the speaker wire outputs (door speaker outputs should be full signal) from my factory amp which is under driver seat. Feed it into a cheap $70 dsp from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2KT684L/?tag=caraudiocom-20 . Might lose fade because it's only 2 channel in, but can probably set the fade sound levels to my liking via the dsp and keep it there (8 channel out). I'm pretty sure this would correct any factory EQ issues (high tweeter, low mid-bass)? I guess an alternative is Audiocontrol LOC (LC5, LC6, etc, not sure which would be best, especially to future proof if I wanted to add a subwoofer or mid-bass woofer).

The outputs from there would be RCA (low-level?) to go to a 4 channel amp to power the 4 door speakers. Crutchfield rep recommended this Kenwood 4x50w rms at 4ohm amp. and splicing the speaker wire into RCA adapter. From there I would run speaker wire to each of the speakers. Variations on this might include disconnecting factory tweeters if they're still too loud. Or getting a 6 channel amp and using 1 channel for each side of tweeters ( Car has 2 on front A pillars and 2 on back doors) to be able to control it from the dsp/LOC.

I have a lot more to learn and a lot more youtube to watch, but was interested to see if this gameplan is a good starting point, if it makes sense, or if there are better ways to approach this. Thanks!

Go full active w/dsp and this

Thanks for the suggestions Doxquzme. The sony is appealing, half the price of the Alpine.
The Alpine power says: 50W x 6 @ 4Ω + 150W x 2 @ 4Ω or 50W x 6 @ 2Ω + 300W x 2 @ 2Ω (4Ω, 14.4V, 1kHz, 10% THD).
My speakers are 4ohm. The factory tweeters are 2ohm 20W (the front at least to my knowledge). Will this be able to connect to the tweeters? What about if I split the channels, channel 5 left tweeters into two to connect front and rear tweeters? Will that change the impedance and still be able to connect from this amp? Otherwise I would have to purchase separate tweeters.

i would not worry about the tweeters. They will never see anything above 20 watts before your ears bleed. your options with 4 channels would be to use them on all for corners of the car along with the included crossovers that came with the focal drivers. Again, when you sum the total impedance of a two way, it will be closest to the large driver, so around 4 ohms in your case as the x-over is a frequency divider and it functions as a power distribution unit for each set as well. THe tweeter will have little effect on that and is more important in configuring the caps, coils used in the x-over than anything else. The 8 channel units will allow you to go fully active, bypassing the included crossovers, another plus but more expensive to do.

As for combining tweeters or anything else, You never what to connect/combine/sum any of the corners with the other corners of the car, destroys any semblance of stereo right to left and front to rear stagining.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...