trying again to do a system. 2022 bronco tried a system this weekend and failed..

ttt123

CarAudio.com Recruit
michigan
Hello everyone. I'll try to make it quick.

So I have a pair of Alpine type-R 10" that I've had on a shelf for a couple years... barely used. I hooked them up to a Hifonics Brutus 3200watt amp I just bought off amazon and ... that ******. It could barely move those speakers and that amp was suggested to me by a friend who knows audio.

I kind of want to do away with the 10's and go with a single 12" to save room. With the 12" American Bass I had in the Porsche.. i was surprised how hard that thing could hit compared to the 2-10" And the 12" was underpowered and still hit amazingly hard.

Anyone have a suggestion for a sub/amp combo that would hit hard with a budget of around $600? Or perhaps I just need a proper powered amp to push the Alpine 10"? I'm not up to speed with the gear and tech thats around now for systems.. it was 30 years ago when i last did this stuff lol

Appreciate any help you give.

There must be a wiring/set up issue; I have seen these amps push subs to their limit. Would you detail how you set up your install?

I hooked it up like the instructions said to in parallel. I have a 6 gauge feed from battery, high level input from door speakers. the amp was super lightweight and sounded fine but It looked like it was moving those 10's maybe 50% of there travel. the crunch 2000 watt amp i had before seemed to move them better.

I might have done something wrong but im not sure what it would have been. The guy who suggested it said they could push some big watts as well. I watched a vid on youtube about that exact amp and he hooked it up to a watt reader and it shows that amp only pushed 600wats at 4 ohm .. what ever that means lol ya i'm older now and know know this stuff anymore... forgive me lol
Those the 750w rms alpines?

That's a solid amp at a good price...

I'll check that one out.

I was also suggested this one https://www.down4soundshop.com/down4sound-jp23-v1-5-elite-purple-2300w-rms-amplifier/

Any thoughts?

You need at least 4 AWG.
So I've been reading a ton this morning. I had my speakers wired from 4ohm and ya I'm probably needing that thicker wire.

I already started the return on the brutus gamma and ordered a sundown Amazon product ASIN B09WJGHKNW
I probably didn't need to return the brutus after reading up this morning but i guess the sundown will give me better quality from what i'm reading.

hope i made the right choice

Good call. I read up on the Gamma series and the ratings are shady. Now the Brutus Elite series, their numbers are not inflated and they pack a punch. Those I have heard.
I'm coming up on 50 and the tech seems to have changed quite a bit from back in the day lol the Brutus was a recommendation from a friend. it probably could do the job and I just ran it wrong but i think going forward the sundown will be a better choice.

Going to try and run the Alpines at 1ohm in a 1.5cbft sealed box. Does that sound correct?

I'm trying to utilize space in the bronco so my sons Guitar(he plays for our youth group at church) can still fit and still have space for groceries when shopping.

That should be work...alpine recommends .4-.85 cuft per sub...so you'll be right in line
awesome. thanks

Side question.. you guys think after i get these 10 working properly I'm going to want better? The friend helping me says they are nice speakers but compared to some other stuff out there... they fall short.

For example he recommended I sell those and get the 500watt RMS(don't remember the model) rated sundown 10" and that they would blow these Type-R's away.

Anything from Hifonics is inflated anymore. Hifonics is not the amplifiers they used to be 20 some years ago. Just look at the dyno tests on them. Good call to send it back and get something else. Sundown amplifiers numbers actually do what they claim and usually more on the dyno testing.

awesome. thanks

Side question.. you guys think after i get these 10 working properly I'm going to want better? The friend helping me says they are nice speakers but compared to some other stuff out there... they fall short.

For example he recommended I sell those and get the 500watt RMS(don't remember the model) rated sundown 10" and that they would blow these Type-R's away.
I'd venture to guess those Alpines will out do a 500w sd...and they more than likely sound a lot better sealed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...