Amp died, trying Incriminator Audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
I have 2 12" XFLs that were ran by a JP23. Unfortunately, I have blown up caps that look a little bit like a Pillsbury can.

The replacement is an Incriminator Audio IX3.1. Ordered yesterday.
I've really liked IA equipment and said to myself I'd buy given the chance.

I hope this amp works out well as $750 is a big purchase for me.

Something probably caused it.
I noticed while driving at night that my headlight brightness was fluctuating. I was probably using 5% of amplifiers potential.
I look at bass knob and what is normally steady 13.8V was instead jumping all over, hitting peaks of at least 15.2V.

Then the 60A fuse to the amp blew.

I think I had a loose wire at alternator causing voltage fluctuations.

When I replaced fuse and turned amp on, the subs fluttered audibly and then no sound and protect light illuminated.

I unhooked everything, let it sit 1.5 hours, tried again and heard electrical arcing. Opened amp up and saw bulging main capacitors and what I'm guessing is electrolytes on the board.

Last edited:
I have 2 12" XFLs that were ran by a JP23. Unfortunately, I have blown up caps that look a little bit like a Pillsbury can.

Ive heard of several Issues popping up about these JP amplifiers. Its a real shame when spending that hard sweat earned dollar spending it on what is thought to be quality and have it fail. 😩 😩 :poop:.Im sure the new amplifier will serve justice for you. they are expensive, but Ive never heard of anyone ever having issues with I.A. amplifiers or any of theyre products ever. deff. would like to hear back at how well it does for you!

Something probably caused it.
I noticed while driving at night that my headlight brightness was fluctuating. I was probably using 5% of amplifiers potential.
I look at bass knob and what is normally steady 13.8V was instead jumping all over, hitting peaks of at least 15.2V.

Then the 60A fuse to the amp blew.

I think I had a loose wire at alternator causing voltage fluctuations.

When I replaced fuse and turned amp on, the subs fluttered audibly and then no sound and protect light illuminated.

I unhooked everything, let it sit 1.5 hours, tried again and heard electrical arcing. Opened amp up and saw bulging main capacitors and what I'm guessing is electrolytes on the board.
😩😩👀😩😩

Not sure about buying consumer electronics from an e-celebrity, but Incriminator amps have been tried and true in the lanes for many many years. Seen plenty around in action at shows and never heard anybody complaining about theirs.

Yeah, I knew JP amp was 'cheap' for the power that it nade.
I've been impressed with Incriminator from what I've seen and told myself I would try them the next time I needed equipment.

I'm excited to send a little more power to my XFLs! I have this feeling they will wake up a little more with this new amp.

Last edited:

I’d like to know if you get a bump in SQ as well. I’ve had my eyes on IA amps for awhile.

So my initial thoughts.

It sounds a little cleaner at loud volume, but maybe that's just more power going tobthe subs?

And my voltage doesn't drop as much.
It used to be 13.8 that would drop to low 13s when turned up.

Tonight it was 13.8 basically the entire time I was jammin. I was on highway driving 70mph for an hour. I had ear plugs in and my body was getting a vibration massage. When I got home amp's internal fan was running and amp felt just slightly warm to the touch. I'm wired to 1ohm.

Last edited:
It's getting to where I feel pain in my ears when I turn it up.
I love the feeling of powerful bass, and I can hear it clearly with earplugs in.
I don't want to damage my hearing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...