Tried Everything but still have severe voltage drop and dimming

CHEMMINS

Ground back to the batt......these trucks have rubber body bushings....so you get 6 bolts to the frame, and a tin body.
Agreed!

I would suggest isolating the problem rather then spending another dollar. You have a meter I think WE all can offer some direction of help. Try some of these suggestions out with the car off and running and write down your results. Im sure more tips will come your way. oh yeah and be patient... thats the hardest step!

Disconnect the amp power fuse at the battery location.

Check voltage at battery

I would then get a long good size cable (14 or 12 ga will be plenty) use this to make solid contact with your ground location and run it towards the battery. hook your meter up to the ground extension and the other end of the meter on the positive of the battery.

remove fuses from both amps and reconnect the main fuse at the battery. Now check voltage at what comes next in line from the power cable ( i.e.distrobution block, cap) continue down the line untill u reach the amp. ( for ground on your meter use the grounding location that u chose for the amps. )

If no problem presents its self so far try removing the main fuse (at battery) and replacing fuse(s) in one of the two amplifiers. hook your main fuse back up and test the one amplifiers power at terminal and ground at your chosen ground location. repeat this step for the other amplifier.

this should help out at least from a statistical point of view. remember trying with car off and running. also when getting to the last step add in volume with low and high results from the meter

Last thing off the top of my head would be to get the regulator for the alternator checked. sometimes they are not doing there job propperly!

I hope this helps and if anything youll know your system inside and out..

Side note: not all capasitors are built the same

http://www.alumapro.com/docs/capcomps1001.pdf

http://www.alumapro.com/docs/capcomps1002.pdf

http://www.alumapro.com/docs/capcomps1003.pdf

http://www.alumapro.com/docs/capcomps1004.pdf

This is a very good write up on the difference between certain cap's!

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just trowing this out there, Dodge trucks voltage regulator is in the PCM. If the Battery Temp Sensor is giving a false high reading, or the battery is actually above a certain temperature, the PCM will cut the charging voltage to protect the battery. That could easily cause the problems you are experiencing.

I'm just trowing this out there, Dodge trucks voltage regulator is in the PCM. If the Battery Temp Sensor is giving a false high reading, or the battery is actually above a certain temperature, the PCM will cut the charging voltage to protect the battery. That could easily cause the problems you are experiencing.

This is something that should most Def be looked into... Some alt have a regulator built on. some have one that talks to the car. unfamiliar with Dodge but VIABOY has a great point.

Ima just throw this out there for the OP based on my experiences with dimming, so take it as you will;

-My lights dim more noticeably on red peaked music (Audacity scanned) Not a square wave, however, one that peaks higher then 0DB, whatever that means..

-Dimming changes based on the type of car you drive. Ive had some that didn't dim at all, and some (my current) that seem to dim no matter what.

-Don't worry about it. If your gains were set correctly, your not playing clipped to **** music, and have ample electric on tap, and still get dimming, so what.

-If it bothers you that much, get an HID kit.

-Notes: I have a small SAE1200Dv2 tuned w/ a DD1/CC1 Deck / Amp whole nine yards tuned. Full OFC 0 gage, Big 3, XS 6500 w/ Mechman 270 AVBM addon, Bumped up to charge around 14.5-7ish (lowest the AVBM would go, stock system PCM controlled charged @13.6-8) All grounds have a .00ohm resistance. I full tilt sine waves untill my face hurts, voltage stays above 14.1+ always, and my lights dim. Keep in mind thats almost .6-1v higher then the factory charge voltage with 0 load.

Edit to add: Haven't done my Neg runs from the front to back yet, maybe that will solve it....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.