Tips for loosening a screw?

Cool Main, I hope it comes out pretty easy tomorrow. I know I dented the outside panel of my old old High School car (an 88' Dodge Colt, Lol) because the metal tab between the screw and felt-headliner actually floats a little. The screw sometimes dead-ends at the metal panel it's attached too, and if you hit it too hard, it will dent your outside panel. Not all cars are like that, but something to watch out for.
Thanks for the advice, though I think I will be all set. The piece of metal it's attached to is about 1/4" thick, I don't think I have the ability to bend it to the point where it dents the outside shell

Torch that ****!! micro torch $6 at harbor freight

blz-gb2001.gif

Get a pair of the smallest vice grips out can you may need to get needlenose, but try to avoid that.Square up with it (forming a "T") Make sure you get them REALLY REALLY tight on the screw head, im talking, a struggle to get on with 2 hands. Turn it 1/4 turn, and if its still stiff of ahead and finish taking it out with the vice grips. Otherwise, take them off and use a screwdriver.

Also, use PB Blaster, or if you have a napa or something like that close see if they can get "crull oil" its in a black and orange aresol can. Stuff works great! Keep us updated!

You need to use an impact driver. Best way I can describe it is a screwdriver with a spring loaded head that allows for a few degrees of rotation. You hold the body firmly and hit the end with a hammer and pull it away and reset the head and give it another whack of the hammer and keep doing so until you get it out. It also works great when doing body work.

something like this:

Lisle LIS29200 3/8 Inch Impact Driver Set with Bits

If you deal with philip's head screws much they are a life saver. Instead of wollowing out the head of the screw the driver delivers a fast and hard hit that will break the bolt/screw loose with out mangling the head. They would great when removing the short bolts holding the OEM HU in the cage. I have shattered Mac, Matco, and Snap On screw driver tips get those out.

Finally got the screws out. Used the old hammer trick on them and ended up finding a HUGE screwdriver down in the basement. The screwdriver was almost too big but it didn't slip at all

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.