Tips for loosening a screw?

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
Alright so I came to take off my headliner today to deaden my roof and I got everything detached except for a handle right above the passenger door. The screws WILL NOT budge. I am using the correct size screw driver, all the other ones came out fine. But these screws will not move at all. I've tried putting some lubricant oil on it (essentially WD40) waiting a while and then giving it a few swift hits with a hammer to loosen it up. Did absolutely 0 good.

Do you guys have any tips? I can't deaden my roof until I take out that handle. And before anyone asks, it is not a hex head, it is a circular one so using a socket wrench is out of the question. It's also a straight phillips head, can't use a flat head on it

wd40 doesn't work you need actual penetrating lubricant.
That's what I'm using, it's called liquid wrench and works great, just not doing anything for this

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Not sure if it has loctite or something on it, but try and warm it up with a hair dryer.
Nothing on top or around the screw but I'll give that a shot

Hold the screwdriver on it, while youve got pressure on the screwdriver(trying to unscrew it) repeatedly hit the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer. If that makes sense.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

drill it out
Dont resort to this yet

Hold the screwdriver on it, while youve got pressure on the screwdriver(trying to unscrew it) repeatedly hit the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer. If that makes sense. 

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Dont resort to this yet
Trust me I've tried that. And I'm not drilling it out unless I can find a screw that is an exact match to replace it

r2GLG.jpg

vUtmN.jpg

This is what I am thinking too. I think you have to be careful because if it's stripped all the way out, you will definitely have to drill. But breaking the plastic is the worst.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.