Tips for loosening a screw?

Shim under the black piece with a flat head and rock it back and forth a little bit and it will loosen it. try using a socket under it as a fulcrum if you have to. but be patient and deliberate

You could use a body panel removal tool too. The metal one with the split in the middle. That's how I shimmied mine off in my Dodge.

rather than drilling, take a small chisel and place on outer edge of screw so you can tap it counterclockwise with a hammer. once broke loose finish removing with the phillips. so what if you burr the screw, its hidden by the plastic covers.

Shim under the black piece with a flat head and rock it back and forth a little bit and it will loosen it. try using a socket under it as a fulcrum if you have to. but be patient and deliberate

You could use a body panel removal tool too. The metal one with the split in the middle. That's how I shimmied mine off in my Dodge.
I'll give that a try tomorrow (too dark now). And I don't think the body panel remover will work very well, the one I have is very thick and hard to really get it between anything because of it. I normally just use a flathead, so I will try that.

It's not rusted, any weird discoloration you are seeing is from the lubricant
I will bet you the threads have rusted causing it to stick tight. The condensation from 13 years of use more then likely has the threads all clogged up. I'm not sure why my post decided to end after that part but I originally went on to say try using gun oil as it will eat away the rust.

I will bet you the threads have rusted causing it to stick tight. The condensation from 13 years of use more then likely has the threads all clogged up. I'm not sure why my post decided to end after that part but I originally went on to say try using gun oil as it will eat away the rust.
That doesn't really make sense since all of the other screws from handles I've pulled out had 0 signs of rusting. All the rusting is on the bottom of the vehicle from the road salts

Cool Main, I hope it comes out pretty easy tomorrow. I know I dented the outside panel of my old old High School car (an 88' Dodge Colt, Lol) because the metal tab between the screw and felt-headliner actually floats a little. The screw sometimes dead-ends at the metal panel it's attached too, and if you hit it too hard, it will dent your outside panel. Not all cars are like that, but something to watch out for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.