This may be a dumb question but..

Wait your last 2 amps were 2 channels, which meant they saw a final load of 3ohms bridged? Arent most 2 channels only stable to 4 ohm bridged? Or am I just talking out of my ass?

Wait your last 2 amps were 2 channels, which meant they saw a final load of 3ohms bridged? Arent most 2 channels only stable to 4 ohm bridged? Or am I just talking out of my ass?
NO, you are correct. Don't listen to skadude, he doesn't appear to be as smart as he thinks. He likes throwing around words like retard, when he isn't even correct.

We dont know which amps he used exactly beyond the 2500d, but he did say they were bridged mono. Now, the vast majority of 2-channel amps are a/b, and stable to 4ohms mono (2ohms stereo). The W7 being 3ohms mono (little less actual, according to JL's site) would mean the bridged amps would see 1.5ohms to each channel (and even less actual). So yes, it was wired below the amps' lowest stable impedance.

Oops, Im running the risk of being called retarded by skadude again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

So maybe thats why then because i was running them at too low of an impendance that the amp couldnt handle....Thank you very much guys for all your help with my dumbass question haha.

So maybe thats why then because i was running them at too low of an impendance that the amp couldnt handle....Thank you very much guys for all your help with my dumbass question haha.
It also may be a combination of that and other problems, such as improper gain settings. Make sure you know how to set your gains correctly, not just "at 1/4" or whatever.

Hopefully we have you on the right track. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yah, I heard bridged and figured that was the issue... I don't know of many 2ch amps capable of 2ohms bridged (I've seen a couple, where they Zapco's?)... anyways good luck... get a mono amp.. but it's going to be tough finding enough power at 3ohms w/o getting a beast of an amp with a regulated power supply (prob why JL sold SVC w7's, it sells more /1 amps)

He only listed those amps. all of which can run daily at 1ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Beemer when you have the amp all hooked up as long as its a stable 2ohm mono amp atleast you are fine. your power and ground wire may be to small. Also play a few heavy bass songs and see what kind of voltage the amp is getting. If your below 11volts your running a huge risk. The end

He only listed those amps. all of which can run daily at 1ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Those amps? He only listed ONE amp, the 2500d, as I said before. The other two he only lists a brand name and states he bridged them. Again, the vast majority of 'bridgeable' amps are not stable to 3ohms mono. If you are gonna try and sound smart, better make sure you are correct first. You were incorrect, impedance IS a possible problem (and a likely one) in addition to your gain theory.

Beemer when you have the amp all hooked up as long as its a stable 2ohm mono amp atleast you are fine. your power and ground wire may be to small. Also play a few heavy bass songs and see what kind of voltage the amp is getting. If your below 11volts your running a huge risk. The end
A 'huge risk' of the amplifier going into protection mode? Ive run more than one amplifier down below its minimum voltage level, they all simply shut down until voltage revived. Not one dead amp from it so far. So Id really like an explanation why/how a low system voltage problem could 'fry' an amplifier.

Those amps? He only listed ONE amp, the 2500d, as I said before. The other two he only lists a brand name and states he bridged them. Again, the vast majority of 'bridgeable' amps are not stable to 3ohms mono. If you are gonna try and sound smart, better make sure you are correct first. You were incorrect, impedance IS a possible problem (and a likely one) in addition to your gain theory.
A 'huge risk' of the amplifier going into protection mode? Ive run more than one amplifier down below its minimum voltage level, they all simply shut down until voltage revived. Not one dead amp from it so far. So Id really like an explanation why/how a low system voltage problem could 'fry' an amplifier.
I have heard of plenty Crossfire and American Bass amps smoking from to little voltage. Im sure there are others good sir

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.