This may be a dumb question but..

shalizi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
in the last 4 months ive lost 3 amps which is starting to cost me money..first it was an orion 2500d then an crossfire amp, and then my solid audio amp that i borrowed from a friend went out..the last 2 amps both kept getting really hot and the crossfire would pop a fuse and the solid would shut off for a little...but now the solid doesnt work at all i mean it powers up but thats it so im pretty sure its blown output fets again. Why is this happeneing though and what can i do to prevent it to get hot..i dont abuse it nor do i set the gain high and on my headunit i never pass 14 volume mark out of 35......

I'm not trying to insult you or anything just process of elimination. Do you have a spare battery? What size power wire are you running? and have you upgraded your grounds and other wires under the hood?

i have just one battery, i have 0 guage from the batt to the dist block then it goes out to a single 4 gauge..my battery is in my trunk i have not upraded any grounds, not really sure what you mean by that...thanks

I had the same problem when I was trying to run my 1501D with 4 gauge. Once I upgraded to 0 and upgraded the big 3 under the hood the amp played fine. If i read that post right it says you only have 1 battery, I assume you mean you only have the factory or do you have the factory battery plus a battery in the trunk? If you only have the factory I would suggest adding a second battery, doing the big 3, and run 1/0 from the front battery to the back and to the amp so you won't have any weaknesses. Your electrical system is only as strong as it's weakest link....

If you only have the one battery you need to get a second one thats why your blowing these amps. What you should do is get a second battery, run a 1/0 gauge power cable and a 1/0 gauge ground cable from the front battery to the back battery. Then run whatever the power and ground inputs of the amp require. When I say upgrade the grounds I mean you need to make the ground wires a bigger gauge wire. Is the factory battery location already in the trunk or did you move it back there?

If you only have the one battery you need to get a second one thats why your blowing these amps.
I would LOVE to see you try and explain that position. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Sounds to me like the most likely problem is the amps are being played at too low of an impedance.

How would not having enough current going to the amps NOT blow them? He can play whatever impedance he wants but if it doesn't get enough voltage and it drops too low he'll fry amps all day long, are you saying voltage doesn't matter?

I'm not disagreeing with you, if he does play too high of an impedance the amp will get hot and have the chance to fry, but voltage does play a part in it as well, if he wants it to play at a low impedance he needs an electrical system to back it up.

How would not having enough current going to the amps NOT blow them? He can play whatever impedance he wants but if it doesn't get enough voltage and it drops too low he'll fry amps all day long, are you saying voltage doesn't matter?
I'm not disagreeing with you, if he does play too high of an impedance the amp will get hot and have the chance to fry, but voltage does play a part in it as well, if he wants it to play at a low impedance he needs an electrical system to back it up.
Too low of system voltage will not "fry" an amp. I really have no idea where you are getting that from. Amps with non-regulated power supplies will keep playing, while their output scales down according to input voltage. An amp with a regulated power supply will simply go into protect mode once voltage reaches the extents of its allowable voltage window, high or low.

There is no such thing as too HIGH of an impedance. Running a higher impedance, again, will not "fry" an amplifier. Running too LOW of an impedance certainly can/will however. Im starting to think you are just guessing here. Why not sit back and read, rather than type. Honestly, you dont seem to understand the topic very well yet.

My battery is located in the trunk straight from the factory. The solid audio amp was running at 4 ohms and the other was at 2 ohms. These were on the w7..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.