tech savy port discussion

Participant count
  • Participant list

evo2k3
10+ year member

Senior Bizznitch
Chicago
what exactly does porting do?

i have sifted through most of the port threads on this forum and yet to find a technical explanation for what a port actully does....i understand it allows for specific amounts of air flow, and tunning and the best i can gather is the tunned frequency causes the port to resonate at its natural frequency, but that doesn't seem right since all other frequecies would suffer?....please explain

i really dont know, but i'm bored so i'm gonna try and say something that makes sense...

okay, so when you have a sealed enclosure and the subs hittin, it's gotta move in and out to move air. the air it moves is the bass you feel. right when the subs moves, the air it pushes moves. in a ported enclosure, the sub doesn't have to move as much because not only is it pushing air off the cone area, but it's also shoving air out of the port. therefore, it moves more air...i think i read somewhere that porting adds 3db to a setup, which is the equivalent to doubling your amp power.

well that must answer all your questions eh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif oh well that makes half-sense to me...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.