plexiglass

alpine16
10+ year member

hey im building a box for 4 12'' alpine Swr-1241D and my plan for the box was to make a wall like box with the 4 subs in a square formation and facing the back of my JEEP and the back of the box facint the front of the truck so the back of the box is right behind the front seats. My idea was to put plexiglass ont he back side so you can see the baskets and magnets, how thick should the plexiglass be , each sub will have its own chamber of about 1.45ft^3

As thick as possible....1/2" or bigger...dont want it to flex.

Couple tips...dont drill holes through it too close to the edge or too close together...it might crack on you. Countersink those screw heads.

- Steve

yea definitely drill and countersink where you are gonna put the screws as steve said. also, if you can, find some acrylic cement to seal. its a liquid that you can put where 2 pieces of fiberglass are put together. its the same stuff thats used to seal fishtanks and such. its super strong and its clear.

a countersink is a type of a drill bit that drills the out the material so that the screw head is beneath the surface and is not stickin out. if you do not drill the countersink and drill ur srew threw and try to sink the screw beneath the surface the plexiglass will crack and break, it makes the finished project look alot better.

countersinking is a thing that you can do with a drill. it is what will make a sort of dish shaped cut where the screw heads are supposed to go. this is so that when you put the screws in, it doesnt crack the glass, but it fits right into it

Originally posted by alpine16 At a glass shop close to where i live they sell 4'x4' sheets 1/4'' thick for 70$
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif :eek: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif told ya

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.