suggestions/advice on upgrade

Sounds like your box is a prefab. prefabs generally lie about the specs, its more likely to be 1.5 gross per chamber not NET which is the number after port and subwoofer displacement(space they take up) So a proper box would have a world of difference. You can also do a 4th order bandpass if you want your windshield to flex. I've seen a pair of W3s in a proper 4th order that slam lows **** well and still sounds good on music.

size doesnt affect how low you get. thats a complete myth, its just easier to get louder across the whole frequency spectrum because of cone area thats all. How low you get is from enclosure design. You've been getting misinformation from other ppl.
Whoa whoa whoa mister. Size matters on a 15" zv4 go build a 3cube box tune to 25hz and then go build a 5cube box tuned to 30hz and tell me which on plays lower. Bigger makes them lows come to life

Whoa whoa whoa mister. Size matters on a 15" zv4 go build a 3cube box tune to 25hz and then go build a 5cube box tuned to 30hz and tell me which on plays lower. Bigger makes them lows come to life
hold yer horses there partner, didnt you read his post that i was quoting, he thinks 15s get deeper than 12s thats what i was sayin if you actually read.

hold yer horses there partner, didnt you read his post that i was quoting, he thinks 15s get deeper than 12s thats what i was sayin if you actually read.
hah. text certainly does not convey as much as actual interpersonal communication.

ok. i'm on board with the enclosure being pivotal when it comes to maximizing the capability of a given driver in general. i have recently made a deal with my brother that entails him providing all necessary resources to build both of us enclosures and he gets one of my 12w3's. i'm fine with this because he's a great guy and i plan to change my setup in the near future anyway--this is an opportunity to practice and experiment.

i have come up with a labyrinth ported enclosure with the following:

net vol.: 3.9ft^3

port width: 5.25in

port area::port area/ft^3: 78.75in^2::20.1617in^2

port tuning: 24.2241

dimensions:

H: 17in

W: 35.5in

D: 31.3125in

1"mdf

12w3:

Fs: 26.72hZ

Qts: .444

Vas: 2.844

displacement: .071ft^3

the port area per cube seems high to me--but i've never designed a labyrinth enclosure before (or any enclosure irl) so i don't know the rules of thumb, so to speak. i know that 12-16in^2 per cube is called for for an L slot type box, but not sure if the same thing applies to a labyrinth.

thoughts?

hah. text certainly does not convey as much as actual interpersonal communication.
ok. i'm on board with the enclosure being pivotal when it comes to maximizing the capability of a given driver in general. i have recently made a deal with my brother that entails him providing all necessary resources to build both of us enclosures and he gets one of my 12w3's. i'm fine with this because he's a great guy and i plan to change my setup in the near future anyway--this is an opportunity to practice and experiment.

dimensions:

1"mdf

12w3:

the port area per cube seems high to me--but i've never designed a labyrinth enclosure before (or any enclosure irl) so i don't know the rules of thumb, so to speak. i know that 12-16in^2 per cube is called for for an L slot type box, but not sure if the same thing applies to a labyrinth.

thoughts?
Just go with an aeroport, labyrinths arent the best with fluid dynamics. With aeroports, you can adjust and tune to how you want it to sound easily.

Just go with an aeroport, labyrinths arent the best with fluid dynamics. With aeroports, you can adjust and tune to how you want it to sound easily.
i was thinking that as well. i think i get kinda caught up in the aesthetics of the slot port. what i'd like to do is have a threaded aeroport hole that i can just screw in whatever i want. is there a specific combination of pieces that works best in this application?

dimensions:

1"mdf

12w3:

thoughts?
Tunning to 24hz is rather low.

i know but that is the alignment that will give the flattest response. are there any pitfalls i should be aware of regarding it?
Flattest response on what a computer? If you tune that low most likely u will be lacking 40hz+ And have 20" per port is huge. Doesn't seem right to me.

Well, I don't know if anyone is interested but I built a 1.9ft^3 box tuned to 30hz for a single 12w3 and MAN it hits for only one driver. I can honestly say that it plays a very consistent frequency range unlike the dual 12w3 ported box I had and slams almost as hard. The only difference is a lack of midbass because I don't have proper midwoofers yet. I had the dual setup highpass at ~120hz but brought that down to 80hz with the single setup. The overall sound is balanced and full without the dips and peaks I had before.

A successful first endeavour.

All this considered, how would anyone ever be able to build a proper enclosure for dual subs that fits in a trunk when drivers seem to need so many cubes to sound good? When I play around with parameters and volume, making the box deeper or taller just doesn't have the impact that width has--it can only be so wide!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.