Subwoofer Recommendation/Sound Science

Ok... fine... arguing with an obviously "SQ" guru that loves his sealed enclosure setup and will try to reference an "RTA" style response as some type of proof that his way is better is useless... lol... I'd rather eat Alpo for lunch than hear all about it... you win man.
Diyma is full of "members" like you... I'm sure you are a major influence over there...
Are you crying?

Just to rub it in to see you cry more. Don’t be pathetic. Stop repeating bs and learn. Don’t get butt hurt when you get your opinion challenged.
I'm not butthurt dude... and did agree with you up to a point but you are continually "THE MAN" in your own opinion on every thread. I'm done now wasting time on arguing and IMO he should go with something like this..

cjXGyz.jpg

And I did agree with you on a larger sealed as long as he's temporarily using one, but to make better use of his power and get emphasis on those lower notes with a SWS-12 I'd recommend a vented alignment for sure.

I'm not butthurt dude... and did agree with you up to a point but you are continually "THE MAN" in your own opinion on every thread. I'm done now wasting time on arguing and IMO he should go with something like this..
cjXGyz.jpg

And I did agree with you on a larger sealed as long as he's temporarily using one, but to make better use of his power and get emphasis on those lower notes with a SWS-12 I'd recommend a vented alignment for sure.
I get it. But what does the data show? Which will play lower? Don’t confuse low with bloat.

I get it. But what does the data show? Which will play lower? Don’t confuse low with bloat.
Im not familiar with "bloat"... isn't that what a decomposing body does?.. any deficiencies or extra unwanted response is easily adjustable thru the sub level adjustment unless as you have stated before its not necessary. Idk about others but im constantly adjusting mine without complaint as music is recorded differently.

Just me I guess.

Im not familiar with "bloat"... isn't that what a decomposing body does?.. any deficiencies or extra unwanted response is easily adjustable thru the sub level adjustment unless as you have stated before its not necessary. Idk about others but im constantly adjusting mine without complaint as music is recorded differently. Just me I guess.
I’m referring to bloat as over exaggerated.

Typically you would not need to adjust anything post tune.

Adjusting the remote is a shelf adjustment.

I’m referring to bloat as over exaggerated. Typically you would not need to adjust anything post tune.

Adjusting the remote is a shelf adjustment.
In my experience unless your seeking some type of flat response (for SQ competition purposes) some emphasis in the lower range is desirable and usually wanted by most people. I can't count the number of users that went from sealed to ported and for that reason. The cheapest sealed sub I'd go with (for my personal tastes) would set me back a lil' bit ($). Those shelf adjustments don't bother me as long as it sounds good to me and usually it does... IDK

I focus more on imaging the fronts keeping the lows as hard to localize as possible and strong mid-bass... and if I do it correctly for me the lows will always seem bloated a bit I guess (low 30's-hi 20's)... but that's just my preference as tuning a flatter response previously always left me wanting and missing the lows.

I just like to enjoy my music... not turn it into a science, been there... done that.

I'm bangin' away with a 4th that would probably disgust you atm... but it's fun...

In my experience unless your seeking some type of flat response (for SQ competition purposes) some emphasis in the lower range is desirable and usually wanted by most people. I can't count the number of users that went from sealed to ported and for that reason. The cheapest sealed sub I'd go with (for my personal tastes) would set me back a lil' bit ($). Those shelf adjustments don't bother me as long as it sounds good to me and usually it does... IDKI focus more on imaging the fronts keeping the lows as hard to localize as possible and strong mid-bass... and if I do it correctly for me the lows will always seem bloated a bit I guess (low 30's-hi 20's)... but that's just my preference as tuning a flatter response previously always left me wanting and missing the lows.

I just like to enjoy my music... not turn it into a science, been there... done that.

I'm bangin' away with a 4th that would probably disgust you atm... but it's fun...
I’m glad you enjoy it. But anyone that says sealed can’t play low I will correct. Because that is proven false information.

We tend to have a bad habit and I’m also guilty. If we have never we think it doesn’t exists.

Most SWS-12 type drivers need a bit of help in the lower ranges in my experience, they're just not really gonna get low well usually sealed without EQing it to death. The more expensive drivers and or optimized for sealed do much better but still leave me lookin' for more usually... Personally I'd go with either an IDQ or IDMax if using sealed... not an Alpine SWS driver.

But each to their own I guess... I like the efficiency and "bloat"... I suppose I'm just not after the type of response you are.

What is sound quality to you guys? For me I would like a sub that can actually differentiate bass notes. With the Alpine it sounds like it's all mushed together. I've heard it in HT systems, and my friend's kicker does it too. As far as going lower, that's nice, but I'd rather have clearer bass notes that cut off rather than bass that blends together & deeper response.

What is sound quality to you guys? For me I would like a sub that can actually differentiate bass notes. With the Alpine it sounds like it's all mushed together. I've heard it in HT systems, and my friend's kicker does it too. As far as going lower, that's nice, but I'd rather have clearer bass notes that cut off rather than bass that blends together & deeper response.
What is Sound Quality and How is it Judged | Tutorials | Team Audionutz

That’s what the volume knob is for. If the song don’t have bass then the song don’t have bass. Stop molesting music.

Don’t forget who you are talking to

When you listen thru a set of headphones what do you use? Volume.
your mids and highs will be too loud compared to the bass if that was the case so no, this is exactly why you use a sub level control to have even output on almost all music. I'd figure you'd jump back to the "listen to music the way it should" excuse what a joke.

Thats literally from box design and vehicle loading. You have poor phase and group delay in your current alignment, position the box in every location and orientation possible. Make sure all bass boost and bass EQ is flat. Every vehicle is different with different resonant frequencies and overall acoustics. Your friend's pioneers will sound different in your car and your alpine will sound different in his car. This is why an actual sound quality tuned ported box is necessary. If your car tends to have a hard peak at 45hz. A lower tuned ported box will allow it to smooth the response to have a balanced bandwidth with next to no peaks, your 25hz loudness should be as loud as your 45 and 55hz. Port size and airspace will control the accuracy of the driver and how the box and port is oriented along with your head unit's time correction will also determine how accurate your bass will sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.