Sub that compares to Magnum d2

littlebuddy34
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here (like since 2007). I used to have a Suburban and had a Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 in the back running off of 1200 watts in a 2.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 30 hz. It sounded so amazing, loud and tight. I sold my whole system when I got a much smaller G35, but now my audio has been having some issues so I decided to change out the whole thing and add some bass. So I need some recommendations on what subs (12" probably) would fit in a small enclosure in my G35 coupe, probably sealed (because of size restraints) and compare to the sound quality of my old SI Mag while still getting decently loud. I'll be running the sub at 800 watts at 2 ohms, or i could go 400 watts at 4 ohms.

Thanks for the help, everybody here really helped me with my old setup.

An Obsidian Audio 12 fits the bill. The subs were designed by Nick Lemons, the owner of Stereo Integrity. I dont know how it compares to a Mag V2 but should be right up your alley.

The Obsidian subwoofers are very close in terms of sonic performance. You can't beat them to death for hours on end like you could the Mag v3 but the Obsidian's play lower in smaller boxes than the Mag v2 and v3's do. And they're also 1/2 the price of what the Mag's were. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The Obsidian subwoofers are very close in terms of sonic performance. You can't beat them to death for hours on end like you could the Mag v3 but the Obsidian's play lower in smaller boxes than the Mag v2 and v3's do. And they're also 1/2 the price of what the Mag's were. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
And to the OP, this is the guy to let you know exactly what SI and Obsidian are all about.

Would this sub do alright in 1.75 cubes on 800 watts?
Yep, it'll handle that just fine. And the box volume is perfect. If you're going to go sealed you may reach its mechanical limits here and there with 800 watts (if you're playing 20 Hz or so) but the low end extension will be great with that much enclosure volume.

yeah i meant 1.75 cubes ported, although i'm not sure if that will fit in my trunk. Actually i think the trunk volume is big enough, just I don't think there would be any way to get it in there because the opening to the trunk is so small. Need to take some measurements and get a box plan.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.