Sub starting to smell

What kind of enclosure are you using? Sealed or ported? Cause if that's all you want the sub to do is fill in the low end that w3 should be giving you plenty. I've had a few w3's and I like them but find running them sealed is almost pointless. Throw it in a 1.75-2.0 cube box ported around 32-36 and you'll get the output you want I would bet.

Use a DMM and quit guessing...........
1/4 of gain on one amp of a particular model and brand could be 5/8 gain on the same model and brand amp..
Still a guess, unless you are 100% sure it will give you clean power at the level you set it at.

Hell of a lot better than saying uhhhh 65%
You are correct. I just know that a lot of people clip their amp after setting with a dmm because they don't take electrical issues into consideration. You can set a 1500 watt amp that does rated, to do rated, and only get hard clipping if you have a poor connection somewhere, a crappy batt, a weak alt, bogus wire, etc.

You are correct. I just know that a lot of people clip their amp after setting with a dmm because they don't take electrical issues into consideration. You can set a 1500 watt amp that does rated, to do rated, and only get hard clipping if you have a poor connection somewhere, a crappy batt, a weak alt, bogus wire, etc.
I know man, just didn't want it to go over anyones head....

Thank you everyone for responding.

To answer the question about the box it's a JL factory spec ported box but without the 90 degree bend backwall you'd find on the exact spec sheet.

Where do I set my subsonic filter at to achieve the 32-36?

Right now I believe it's set to 25.

Your subsonic blocks out frequencies lower than its setting and is really meant for protection of the sub in its vented enclosure. What you need to do is find out to what frequency your box is tuned and set the SSF for about 5Hz below that. Also revisit your crossover points and make sure you're not accidentally crossing it over at multiple points. Either run the LPF on the amp OR the HU, not both.

Factory JL ported box is 32hz for tuning but without that backwall in my box I don't know exactly what it expects or even if that would change the default HZ of 32.

As far as cross over points, my sub channel on kenwood x996 is set to through and the LPF on amp is set to 75hz.

Subsonic is at 25hz.

Just a guess for 4v pre outs 35-40% gain at 30 should be about right. I am not saying this for sure but, most of my amps have been set at this setting using a dmm. My eclipse though is at 30-35%.

Another thing to check out, if you have time alignment available on your HU, is whether or not you're getting wave cancellation from your mids. Playing around with mine, I can definitely notice a decrease in my sub output if everything's not in phase. Worth looking into...

Btw, what's your sub/port configuration and where into the car are they firing?

The sub level makes or breaks the sub channels' cleanliness on a kenwood. If you like to crank you sub level up, set your gains for 28/35.
If he sets his gain for 28/35 volume, at volume 28 and +1 sub level it would still be clipping. This post is confusing and I'm not sure what you mean by it. Sub level should only be used to turn down and never up.

If he sets his gain for 28/35 volume, at volume 28 and +1 sub level it would still be clipping. This post is confusing and I'm not sure what you mean by it. Sub level should only be used to turn down and never up.
Wrong. Sub level can be turned up or down. Consider it a digital bass knob if you will. Furthermore, if you're setting your gains properly, you'll be doing so with sub level at its fullest value. That way you can ensure you will not exceed/clip your system.

Remember sub level only adjusts the voltage signal sent to the sub amp.

Wrong. Sub level can be turned up or down. Consider it a digital bass knob if you will. Furthermore, if you're setting your gains properly, you'll be doing so with sub level at its fullest value. That way you can ensure you will not exceed/clip your system.
Well if you set it the gains with the sub level at max, how exactly can you turn it up then? It could only be turned down...

Also, the sub level setting on a Kenwood doesn't change the voltage sent to the amp. It is an equalizer setting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This in the year and a half i have owned my sa 15s i have had three different amps, Skar 1500, DC pai 2k, and a Crescendo 3kwp. i have set mine like this turn amp all the way down turn the sub level to +15 then set gain about half way to half gain. if not an leave the sub level at 0 i have to set the gain to half or a little higher just to get the same output.

Well if you set it the gains with the sub level at max, how exactly can you turn it up then? It could only be turned down...
Also, the sub level setting on a Kenwood doesn't change the voltage sent to the amp. It is an equalizer setting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You don't turn it up. You set your gains to just below clipping. Matter of fact, you should always set your gains to be the limiting factor, not with the intent you're going to do more than what you set.

And sub level almost universally is a voltage control on the NF out, there is a separate BASS setting for EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.