Sub starting to smell

You don't turn it up. You set your gains to just below clipping. Matter of fact, you should always set your gains to be the limiting factor, not with the intent you're going to do more than what you set.
And sub level almost universally is a voltage control on the NF out, there is a separate BASS setting for EQ.
Isn't that what I was saying in my first post? You should set your gains with your volume/sub level on the max level you intend to use, and never exceed those levels? What exactly are you disagreeing with then?

And here it is straight from Kenwood:

"I understand you are inquiring about the SUBWOOFER LEVEL on your KIV-701. This is an equalizer setting for the frequency and does not affect the output voltage."

Yes this is only referring for one specific model and it could be different for others. But I am assuming they are using the same settings for other models as well.

Isn't that what I was saying in my first post? You should set your gains with your volume/sub level on the max level you intend to use, and never exceed those levels? What exactly are you disagreeing with then?

"I understand you are inquiring about the SUBWOOFER LEVEL on your KIV-701. This is an equalizer setting for the frequency and does not affect the output voltage."

Yes this is only referring for one specific model and it could be different for others. But I am assuming they are using the same settings for other models as well.
I'm not trying to disagree with you, but your previous post was written to imply a different point. If that X996 doesn't have a separate NF level or Sub level input, I will be tremendously surprised. For a unit at its price and performance level, though, I find that highly unlikely.

I'm not trying to disagree with you, but your previous post was written to imply a different point. If that X996 doesn't have a separate NF level or Sub level input, I will be tremendously surprised. For a unit at its price and performance level, though, I find that highly unlikely.
Your right, I didn't specify that if he had set his gains with the sub level on 0, then with the volume at its max setting and sub level at +1 it would be clipping. That was the point I was trying to make.

And yes it is possible the settings on his specific head unit could be different. But I wouldn't automatically assume that the Sub Level setting is for the output voltage.

I have the same amp as OP and I have it at around 55% as well. Had it like that for a loooong time. HU has 4v preouts, and on the hu I have the sub set at +2 (out of a possible -25 to +6). The max I go to on my HU is 50/62. EQ is flat, no loudness, so sound retriever, no bass boost. I've never had a problem on any song with these settings and playing at 50/62. I have gone into protect mode a couple times when I was playing super bass heavy songs at 55/62, and the passengers have claimed they smelled it when I was playing it at 50/62 but with the sub setting at +5. But with my normal settings I've never had a problem. Sounds great to me. Never checked what the birthsheet said the amp was at.

I set my gains on my sub amp using the DMM.

On the x996 I'm setting a max volume of 25/35.

I did 500x2 which was 1000 and the square root of that is 31 so I set gains to output 30.5 when playing a 50hz test tone at volume 25.

What I don't understand how to set is the gain on my fronts using the above method.

It's 2.4LRX so it's a two channel amp with 130w per channel @ 4ohms but when I put on the DMM the voltage output at each channel is only 0-13.8. 0 being gain all the way down and 13.8 being the very highest gain setting. I'm running 1K test loop.

What voltage should each channel on my 2channel amp be set to? (One gain nob so both channels should be identical)

Is it 130x4ohms=520.

Sq rt of 520 = 22.8

So would I divide 22.8 by 2 to figure out what each channel should read?(11.4v per channel)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you set it the gains with the sub level at max, how exactly can you turn it up then? It could only be turned down...
Also, the sub level setting on a Kenwood doesn't change the voltage sent to the amp. It is an equalizer setting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No its not an eq at all. Its attenuation. And I've measured standard and Excelon Kenwood decks with a dd1 on all six channels. What model is your Kenwood?

No its not an eq at all. Its attenuation. And I've measured standard and Excelon Kenwood decks with a dd1 on all six channels. What model is your Kenwood?
Thank you. I don't normally run Kennys so didn't want to say something for sure if I couldn't personally verify.

Wow the "use a DMM" guys dropped off fast.

Anyone else have experience with using a DMM for the fronts like my previous post implies?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the DMM method is that it relies on going off the manufacturers rated power without us knowing their testing criteria - and thus how they attained it.

It will get you close - but hard to beat being able to actually examine the waveform with a scope.

Anyone else have experience with using a DMM for the fronts like my previous post implies?

Some of us have to sleep, shoot son! n8skow already covered it well enough. You can set by DMM to the manufacturer's recommendations, but it's a conservative estimate. Using an oscilloscope is always the more accurate way to do it.

Not talking about you, but that doesn't make sense. It's not a sub level of it doesn't control output voltage. They need to rename that. Why I don't deal with Kenwood

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.