Sub sonic and Low pass

I read that to set the sub-sonic filter you need to know what your sub box is tuned to. Then set that (sub-sonic filter) 1/2 an octave below the tuned frequency. So if your box was tuned to 30Hz you set the ss filter down to 22.5Hz (30 / 2 then half of that (15 /2 = 7.5) )? Is this just a general rule of thumb for most boxes and sub combinations or just a good starting point at least? Or are you better off really just to test it out listening to the sub its capabilities and knowing its limits adjusting it that way?

I read that to set the sub-sonic filter you need to know what your sub box is tuned to. Then set that (sub-sonic filter) 1/2 an octave below the tuned frequency. So if your box was tuned to 30Hz you set the ss filter down to 22.5Hz (30 / 2 then half of that (15 /2 = 7.5) )? Is this just a general rule of thumb for most boxes and sub combinations or just a good starting point at least? Or are you better off really just to test it out listening to the sub its capabilities and knowing its limits adjusting it that way?
Depends on port area. There really is no rule but the one you know is the best start.

i do like mayhem said 4-6hz below tuning., some peeps set 10 below but.. what if they off by 5hz on tuning?, better safe than sorry..

I also have my sub crossed over at 120hz 12db slope on the head unit and all the way up on the amplifier. SSF at 30ish? It's hard to tell. My HPF is set to 60hz 12db slope and yes, there is an overlap between the sub and my mids, on purpose. Where the mids roll of and start getting quiet the sub is hitting as it rolls off... makes it sound as if those frequencies are in front of me. (Snap of the kick drum, higher bass notes, Lower guitar and bass guitar). Turn the sub off, play some music and listen to the bass in the song through the mids and highs only. Play with the HPF on the head unit until the bass sounds good but is not distorting. Turn the sub on, play the same song at the same volume and do the same thing but with the LPF until it blends with the mids. Should be pretty good at that point and you can tweak until it sounds best to you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.