Help With Audio Tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list

zerovandez

Hi all. I've got some pretty cool toys in my SUV but I think I can optimize it by tuning the knobs and switches on the amplifier. I don't plan on entering in any competitions or even care to have crazy hitting bass. I'll detail my setup and ask questions after.

Car: 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ

H/U: Kenwood DNX893s

Front Door Speaker: Kenwood XR-1700P Tweeter mounted on dash, set crossover ATT down one

Peak Power : 280W

RMS Power : 80W

Sensitivity : 86dB/ W at 1 m

Frequency Response : 57Hz - 20,000Hz

Rear Door Speakers: Kenwood kfc-p710ps (tweeter not installed)

Sensitivity: 86 dB / W / m

Frequency Response: 63 Hz - 24k Hz

Cutout Diameter: 4-15/16inch

Mounting Depth: 2-3/16inch

Gross Weight: 2.30lbs

Weight of Magnet (Woofer): 0.72lbs

Amplifer: Kenwood kac-m3004

50 Watts RMS x 4 at 4 Ohms and ≤1%THD+N

Subwoofer: KSC-PSW8

Frequency Response (Hz) 35Hz-150Hz

Max Power (W) 250W

RMS Power (W) 150W

Sensitivity (dB at 1m) 81dB

The question is, how should everything be setup? The head unit has crossover settings and so does the amplifier - which should I use? What should the LPF/HPF settings be at for the speakers? I'm a total newb to audio tuning so please help!

Hi all. I've got some pretty cool toys in my SUV but I think I can optimize it by tuning the knobs and switches on the amplifier. I don't plan on entering in any competitions or even care to have crazy hitting bass. I'll detail my setup and ask questions after.
Car: 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ

H/U: Kenwood DNX893s

Front Door Speaker: Kenwood XR-1700P Tweeter mounted on dash, set crossover ATT down one

Peak Power : 280W

RMS Power : 80W

Sensitivity : 86dB/ W at 1 m

Frequency Response : 57Hz - 20,000Hz

Rear Door Speakers: Kenwood kfc-p710ps (tweeter not installed)

Sensitivity: 86 dB / W / m

Frequency Response: 63 Hz - 24k Hz

Cutout Diameter: 4-15/16inch

Mounting Depth: 2-3/16inch

Gross Weight: 2.30lbs

Weight of Magnet (Woofer): 0.72lbs

Amplifer: Kenwood kac-m3004

50 Watts RMS x 4 at 4 Ohms and ≤1%THD+N

Subwoofer: KSC-PSW8

Frequency Response (Hz) 35Hz-150Hz

Max Power (W) 250W

RMS Power (W) 150W

Sensitivity (dB at 1m) 81dB

The question is, how should everything be setup? The head unit has crossover settings and so does the amplifier - which should I use? What should the LPF/HPF settings be at for the speakers? I'm a total newb to audio tuning so please help!
ues hu xover because it's a # u can see instead of a guess on a dial, also easier to change.. turn xovers off on amps or like in my case mono amp don't have off so i set it to 250hz but on hu is set at 100hz.. if u like rock u can set lp for sub at 100hz if u listen to just rap set at 60-80hz (by using hu xover u can try them and see what sounds best) hp on speakers need 70-100hz depending on how well they handle mid bass (again just set the both like 80hz on hu off on amps and adjust while listening see what sounds best)

Thanks. Would setting all of the HPF and LPF to 80hz work? What's your best prediction of sound quality with it setup like this and how will changes to frequency affect the sound?

Also, should the gains on the amp be set to 0, then set the gains from the HU? or should I leave it to match the voltage output of the RCA Preouts?

If you are running the factory crossover box a 60-100hz high as is all that is needed.
If you want to get complicated Google active crossovers
Sorry I don't have a clue as to what you mean here. I don't have factory or OEM anything. It's all Kenwood. are you saying to adjust my HPF for my cabin speakers between 60-100hz?

So I'm understanding correctly, If I set LFP to 80hz, the sound will play at anything 80hz or below right? And for HPF, if I set to 80hz, it will play starting from 80hz and above?

Sorry I don't have a clue as to what you mean here. I don't have factory or OEM anything. It's all Kenwood. are you saying to adjust my HPF for my cabin speakers between 60-100hz?
So I'm understanding correctly, If I set LFP to 80hz, the sound will play at anything 80hz or below right? And for HPF, if I set to 80hz, it will play starting from 80hz and above?
Are you not using the little crossover boxes that came with the components? They separate out which frequencies go where

Hpf plays from set point up typically in the 60-100hz range

Low pass is the inverse typically set the same as the high pass so the sub can pick up where the mids start falling off.

Yes, I am using those boxes.

The subwoofer comes with a controller which allows for different levels of frequency response. Should this even need to be connected if you guys are suggesting that I tune through the HU instead?

I like to trust my amps xover more than headunits. Nor do I use bass knobs, just me. Be sure to only use either or, not both xovers. Set your gain on amps to match hu output Voltage. Turn your volume up to 3/4-7/8 volume. Then slowly turn up amp gain until you hear audible distortion, then back it down slightly. This should not need to be adjusted again, leave it alone. Turn your sub xover to whatever frequency you think sounds best with your type of music. Play the sub and adjust this from zero to where it sounds best. Typically 20-80hz. Again, this shouldn’t need adjusting again, leave it alone. For your components and coaxial speakers With passive xover, turn xover to OFF or FULL. If you feel too much bass is coming through to speakers then revert to a HPF at 100-160hz.

The adjustments you may make on the fly should be equalization.

I too enjoy Kenwood eXcelon stuff. I am running the same front components you have. I am using the passive crossovers that came with them as you are. I am using my Kenwood head units built in crossover to cross them over at 50hz with a 12db slope. Our menus shouldn't be too dissimilar.. Menu, Audio, Pro Setup, Speaker Settings (size of speakers), Xover settings... yada yada yada. I am running a 100wrms X 4 amp and the 1700's have no issues and sound great. With what you have, and this is JUST ME AND MY OPINION... I'd bridge the 4 channel down to 2 channels on the 1700's, run the rear speakers off the head units internal power... the sub the way you would normally run it. Just my opinion.

Funny I just got done bridging my amp entirely to the front with hu on rears. Just a test haven’t listened to it yet, essentially in my case I gained measly but noticeable 3 dB of audio by bridging my watts to nearly double (600x2 @2ohm on 4 components).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.