Sub planning: which Sundowns?

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
Build will be in a Blazer. Amp will be a DC 5.0k. Jacob hooked me with his new woofers, love the high xmax linear driver appeal.

Choices:

1) Four Sundown X-12's

2) Two Sundown Zv.4 15's

Goal: Around 8 cubes, tune real low, be able to play into the mid 20's respectfully, while up to my comps crossover of 80. Very musical, want to tailor the build to SQ. Sounds dumb, but I want to do a loud, great sounding build. I know it will be loud with this power, so I want all variables that I can tailor to be geared toward SQ. Won't be competing, building it to sound good to my own ears.

And I know the drivers aren't out yet so a great decision can't fully be made, but I want to jump on the pre-order, so I want to have this hashed out now.

Which should I do, and why?

Exactly my thought too. And the 12's might have a little easier time staying useful up to the LPF.
probably, its hard to tell how certain subs will play high notes. It's a non-issue for me though. If you really want good mid bass, you'll pod your doors and drop some 8's in.

probably, its hard to tell how certain subs will play high notes. It's a non-issue for me though. If you really want good mid bass, you'll pod your doors and drop some 8's in.
Not gonna go 8's, but I will be doing a proper install of my CDT comps. Doors sealed and all. Basically almost full-on SQ front stage. Will be first time going active too.

Not gonna go 8's, but I will be doing a proper install of my CDT comps. Doors sealed and all. Basically almost full-on SQ front stage. Will be first time going active too.
Yeah, this build is really similar to what I eventually want in my car. I'd def hold off until the X series comes out, they look worth it.

[quote name='T.I.K.']Yeah, this build is really similar to what I eventually want in my car. I'd def hold off until the X series comes out, they look worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's either X's or Zv.4's for me. Jacob's doing good shit, really deserves all the nuthugging he gets. But I'm thinking the X-12's will sound a little better in the application I want them in.

Maybe @double 07 or @Buck can throw some knowledge, factoring a box in there, my way.

2 door or 4 door blazer? I did 4 12s in a 4 door for a bit(before it went to a wall). Was a very nice setup once of the more enjoyable ones. We did 15s as well, but I'm a fan of 3-4 subs in most installs if they actually fit. Not for output reasons just aesthetics in most case. However, the 4 12s did out perform the 2 15s on the meter and daily.

[quote name='double 07']My vote goes to the 12s.....think they would be tough to beat with the right power on them...go for it[/QUOTE]

It will be off a DC 5k. The X-12's are rated at 1250W RMS, but his testing has shown them taking a 2500D free air no sweat, so I don't know :crap:

Maybe I'll just have to make the box bigger. Was really hoping for around 8 cubes though.

[quote name='pro-rabbit']2 door or 4 door blazer? I did 4 12s in a 4 door for a bit(before it went to a wall). Was a very nice setup once of the more enjoyable ones. We did 15s as well, but I'm a fan of 3-4 subs in most installs if they actually fit. Not for output reasons just aesthetics in most case. However, the 4 12s did out perform the 2 15s on the meter and daily.[/QUOTE]

4 door more than likely. I will be moving next weekend, and purchasing a vehicle shortly after, so really I'll take either if I find a deal. But either one will have the same setup in it. I'm thinking the 12's would look nicer atleast, could invert 2. With the 12's havin more cone area I would think output would be greater. I would be able to push each 15 more than each 12 with the power I have though. I'm thinking that difference would negligable however.

Can either of you discuss how each one would work out playing the range I would like them to? Hoping for authority into the mid-20's, while staying musical up to a LPF at around 80Hz.

@Buck you got any info for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.