Sub is cutting in and out

Participant count
  • Participant list

JeepBoi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Roanoke
Hi guys, recently installed a new amp and my sub is cutting in and out. Meaning it'll hit for the first few seconds of a song but then suddenly cut out and not catch any bass. It'll come back for a second but then go out again. When this happens my amp's protect light comes on but as soon as it catches any bass the power light turns green again and the pattern continues.

Several things-
-Lack of power
-Wrong subwoofer resistance
-Wire strands bridging
-Failing amplifier
I doubt the amplifier is failing since it is brand new, and I tested the power with a DMM. It read 12.55 volts. Am I supposed to get 12 volts when I test the REM wire too? When I tried testing that I got 11.57. My amp still turns on though and the power light is green until the bass hits and then the protect light comes on for a split second every time the bass hits.

Just tested the speaker wire with the same settings on the DMM and it says 0.00. Is this my issue?

Last edited:
What vehicle, amp/amps and sub and HU? Stock electrical? Size of supply wire? Size of battery?Big 3 been done yet? Need more information

Just tested the speaker wire with the same settings on the DMM and it says 0.00. Is this my issue?
The sub setting should be tested in the Ohms ♎ setting. It should read anywhere between 1- 4 Ohms. Post amp and sub model numbers to see their specifications.

I tested the power with a DMM. It read 12.55 volts. Am I supposed to get 12 volts when I test the REM wire too? When I tried testing that I got
On remote line, anywhere 5-15v is ok. On power lines your voltage is ok as well. What you want to look for is that the contact points are clean and tight. Most issues like yours is caused by a bad grounding point. Sand it to bare metal and secure it well. Power connections tight and correct fuse size.

What vehicle, amp/amps and sub and HU? Stock electrical? Size of supply wire? Size of battery?Big 3 been done yet? Need more information
It is a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. I am running a Kicker CXA 400.1 with 1 P2D2 Rockford Fosgate 10 inch at 1 ohm. The power and ground wire are both either 4 or 6 AWG. I have a group 34 battery.

Just realized something, when the volume stays lower the sub remains powered. If I turn the gain higher than the volume can only be minimal for the sub to work. When the gain goes down the sub can remain on with slightly higher volume.

Just realized something, when the volume stays lower the sub remains powered. If I turn the gain higher than the volume can only be minimal for the sub to work. When the gain goes down the sub can remain on with slightly higher volume.
This is because the amp is not pulling as much power. Have you checked your wiring? How about that the battery terminal clamps are clean and tight. A good tip is to run a wire from the engine block to a strut tower bolt (or/and frame).

Sounds like poor contact as stated above. Check all your wiring connections make sure tight as stated. Both power wiring and ground should be same size..Gain should be no more that @12-1'Oclock position, no bass boost. You have plenty of supply for the demand. Make sure that the Input Button is Out /Low and not pushed in on High if you are using RCAs connection straight from the HU to the amplifier, and on Pushed in/High if you are using an LOC to RCA connection for signal . Directions Should be in your Manual

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...