sub hits hard but no deep bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

bostonwhaler23

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have my 8" skar competition 400 watt rms 800 watt max hooked to a 1800 watt 2 channel crunch amp. I am currently running the sub bridged at 4ohms. The cone is moving like crazy and I can feel that it's clearly hitting really hard. I'm not hearing distortion, but I'm just not getting loud, deep base out of it. Again, the sub moves like crazy but it seems like the louder I crank it up the less deep bass I hear. Could it be the enclosure? I have it in a 10" box with a custom bracket and a 4" diameter port. The port is about 4" long.

How is it hooked up? Do you have a tapped wire with an LOC or do you have a head unit with RCAs going to the amp? The enclosure plays a large role in the tones that come out, arguably more important than the woofer even. I would need to know more about the enclosure and more about the setup. You said that the louder you crank it the less deep bass you hear, and that's what you would expect if you were using a cheap passive LOC with a tap coming from a set of speakers instead of direct RCAs from the receiver.

It's probably not that then, although if you have a low pass filter option for subsonic frequencies that might be worth using with an 8" subwoofer. It's possible that the enclosure isn't matched very well and so it can't get good compression inside or the seal isn't good around the baffle.

I'm not able to find the exact subwoofer you're talking about based just on those numbers. Is there a model number you can mention? Right now this is what I'm looking at as somewhat close.

Just need to confirm that it is indeed 2 ohm DVC and that model for the numbers to help inform a diagnosis. The drop down lists the series as 800W max but when you go to the 8" one it changes it to 600W max.. not that max means much. I also need the amp model number if you have it and if the enclosure is a pre-fab what the model number of that is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.