Which setup would you prefer?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm not personally a fan of either of the subs because those prefab enclosures are pretty cheap and you're basically paying a premium for them to assemble it. 5/8 MDF is just meh, standard, and if you get serious about your system you'll be replacing it eventually. There's also very little guidance about the tuning frequency of either of those boxes and you have to assume it's tuned to either 35 or 60 which means it's going to be muddy on high frequencies and extremely boomy on low, so you'll get a lot of use out of that low pass filter. That being said you didn't ask about grading choices good or bad, so I'll say I prefer both the Rockford Fosgate gear above the Kicker gear. Maybe others will have equally valid dissenting opinions, but when I see those companies side by side with similar products I think about how Rockford Fosgate underrates their components and gets them independently verified, where basically nobody else in that range does. When they say 1200W RMS they mean exceeding that on their amps at least. I own that RF amp and it's pretty good. I will say their Punch series is cleaner sounding, but it's a class D sub amp so it's not the end of the world, I'd buy it again over the Kicker with all I know about it now.

Last edited:
I'm not personally a fan of either of the subs because those prefab enclosures are pretty cheap and you're basically paying a premium for them to assemble it. 5/8 MDF is just meh, standard, and if you get serious about your system you'll be replacing it eventually. There's also very little guidance about the tuning frequency of either of those boxes and you have to assume it's tuned to either 35 or 60 which means it's going to be muddy on high frequencies and extremely boomy on low, so you'll get a lot of use out of that low pass filter. That being said you didn't ask about grading choices good or bad, so I'll say I prefer both the Rockford Fosgate gear above the Kicker gear. Maybe others will have equally valid dissenting opinions, but when I see those companies side by side with similar products I think about how Rockford Fosgate underrates their components and gets them independently verified, where basically nobody else in that range does. When they say 1200W RMS they mean exceeding that on their amps at least. I own that RF amp and it's pretty good. I will say their Punch series is cleaner sounding, but it's a class D sub amp so it's not the end of the world, I'd buy it again over the Kicker with all I know about it now.
Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.

Pair of Lcs 12 on a budget 1-1.5K?
This was in a Crown Vic

4LDlj0.jpg

nice and simple design to build

Around $800 for subs and amp. Running a 80prs for a head unit. 93 Grand Marquis. Not looking to add anything to the charging system or compete with this. Just looking for some clean loud bass for around that price.

You mention that you want "clean" loud bass. In terms of loud that's pretty easy, shredder's post will get you way further than your original options. It's important to figure out what type of music you're going to be listening to with it though and what other speakers are in the system already. If you're going to be using the stock speakers from that car you're going to need a higher range bass response to cover the whole range plus a little overlap without being muddy, but if you've got good aftermarkets then a box like that tuned to 35hz will be great for the low end.

You mention that you want "clean" loud bass. In terms of loud that's pretty easy, shredder's post will get you way further than your original options. It's important to figure out what type of music you're going to be listening to with it though and what other speakers are in the system already. If you're going to be using the stock speakers from that car you're going to need a higher range bass response to cover the whole range plus a little overlap without being muddy, but if you've got good aftermarkets then a box like that tuned to 35hz will be great for the low end.
I made a suggestion... without pontification. Seems you can't help yourself when posting... a born politician I suppose

You’re rambling replies to everything leads me to believe you either A. Have way too much free time or B. Smoke crystal meth

Quantifying?.. fine. But trying to read paragraphs when not needed is what gives me a headache. lol... glad I could provide some humor.
Gotta run... the short bus just pulled up.
My daily ride

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.