Better 12" than a rockford p3?

drewbird

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just bought a jeep, decided to put a sub in since I couldn't in my old chevy tracker. Found a rockford r1200-1d and p3 on facebook for $200. Amp alone is worth that on Amazon so I bought it. The sub just doesn't sound.. right? Almost like its off-beat some songs, lows can't really be heard, some songs it hits, others not really. I had my boss wire everything since I dont know the first thing about systems. Maybe my amp's settings are dialed-in all wrong? I'm thinking about keeping the amp, selling the p3 and getting a better speaker(s).

Number of subs preferred: 1, can fit 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12"

Budget: $400

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Rockford Fosgate r1200-1D

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): empty trunk of a 97 grand cherokee, more than enough

Goals: Daily driver, sound quality

Listening habits: 40% rap, 40% riddim/heavy dub, 20% rock

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: None, new to this whole scene

What’s the head unit in the Jeep. My guess is it’s signal or enclosure. P3’s aren’t a total boner of a
Sub. Should have plenty of
Power as that prime amp typically birth at 1400 watts.

My first guess (without pics) is that it’s in a sealed enclosure that isn’t the right size. Optimized ported box and clean signal should yield good results. Those Chrysler’s have a ton of factory sound insulation too for good throw off that back hatch

If the existing P3 is in good shape.. I myself would prob. buy another and build a good tuned enclosure and run it.Subs Up Port Rear

Ok cool, maybe I'll give that a go since they're fairly cheap on amazon. D if I pick up another p3, are there any quality enclosures I could buy online? I dont have the tools or space to build really

Wait, wait, wait a minute... the P3 is a dual voice coil sub, which one do you have (Punch P3D2 or P3D4?) this matters a bunch and are both coils wired to the amp???? I run a 10" P3 on the SAME amp at 2 ohms and it slams.. or slaps as I was told today, in a 1.4cu.ft ported enclosure. Something is off, your 12" should hit louder than my 10". When the P3 hits it is fairly impressive for a low dollar sub. My 10" rattles body panels and the mirror like crazy and is felt in the chest pretty noticeably.

Please pull the sub out and look at the magnet and connections and report back... please. It is a good sub, I promise.

Wait, wait, wait a minute... the P3 is a dual voice coil sub, which one do you have (Punch P3D2 or P3D4?) this matters a bunch and are both coils wired to the amp???? I run a 10" P3 on the SAME amp at 2 ohms and it slams.. or slaps as I was told today, in a 1.4cu.ft ported enclosure. Something is off, your 12" should hit louder than my 10". When the P3 hits it is fairly impressive for a low dollar sub. My 10" rattles body panels and the mirror like crazy and is felt in the chest pretty noticeably.

Please pull the sub out and look at the magnet and connections and report back... please. It is a good sub, I promise.
I love this. The love of a product based solely on it's performance and not it's price.

Terrible pictures for me to be able to see amp settings anyway.
you need to post what hu you are using and anything else in line from hu to amp if anything. Where gain is set, crossover, punch eq etc.
Wire is questionable quality. Is that 4 gauge ofc. Idk Walmart is not my audio supplier.

Terrible pictures for me to be able to see amp settings anyway.
you need to post what hu you are using and anything else in line from hu to amp if anything. Where gain is set, crossover, punch eq etc.
Wire is questionable quality. Is that 4 gauge ofc. Idk Walmart is not my audio supplier.

I took some better pictures, hopefully they help.
Headunit is a Dual XDM6351.
Speaker is a P3D4-12. All the connections look solid. Its only wired to one side of the sub, idk I saw quick releases on both sides, so I took a side picture.
Trying to judge amp settings:
Punch E/Q : 4/10
Freq. Hz : a little bit over 50
Infrasonic Filter Hz : ~ 20
Gain : looks a little over 5

Amp wiring kit I used:

Yes... it is the second coil. Hook red to red black to black then from one set of red and black to the amp. 2ohms

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 261
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.