Sub cuts out at ~15V

Participant count
  • Participant list

maxmayhem

Canada
Greetings

My sub cuts out when my RPM's are high and my alternator is throwing out ~15VDC.

When the idle/voltage is lower (red light/city driving), I can crank it to max and it works perfectly.

My theory is that 15V is too much and trips the breaker. I was thinking maybe some sort of voltage regulator somewhere in the lines? Though, the ones I've seen online have very low wattage.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Just 1 battery, recently purchased refurbished. The alternator has an internal regulator, recently purchased new.
That would likely be a stock alternator then, so I highly doubt it should be charging that high. How do you know its that high? If the regulator has gone bad it could be spiking the voltages at high RPM causing the amp to cut-off.

I have a volt-meter under the dash. ~13V at idle (depending on lights, wipers, heater, etc), 15V highway.

I purchased the alternator about 4-5 months ago.

I was wrong about the voltage regulator, it is external.

I have replaced both the alternator and voltage regulator.

The highest voltage it has gone now is 14.8V, and no problems so far. I haven't had a chance to test on the highway yet.

Hopefully it is fixed. I will try it for awhile and report my findings.

Thanks everyone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.