SPG555...how good is this OVAL sub??

SPG 555 13" or 2 L7 10s??

• Boston Acoustics SPG555 13" (no box)

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • 2 Kicker L7 10" (prefab)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Why can't the guys amp play the Boston sub if nothing is wrong with it? That sounds like something is wrong somewhere and wanting to pull one over on you or something. But the Boston sub is way better.

i have no idea...who knows how his electrical was setup or watever..dude had like 1 guage wire everywhere and all that...no battery or nothin. idk what he upgraded...i dont even know what amp he had...he just said it was 4000...oh yeah..he said a alpine 4000w amp. and said his amp wont run 2 ohm

A lot of Sound Quality based stuff is single voice coil. Sounds like the guy didn't have a **** clue what he was talking about, I don't recall Alpine ever making a 4kw amp, and if they did I guarantee it would run @ 2 ohms. He probably blew up crappy 2 channels running below rated impedance.

lol i mean..looks can be deceiving but the way he had everything made it seem like he knew what he was doing. worked at a auto shop and had all kinds of tools n amps n everything.

and well i didnt know that. I know for a fact that the box its in he said was a dual 10" box and he just cut it to fit the sub real quick. now im in the process of looking for an amp for it...these things run at 1000w rms and im pushing close to 750 so i wonder if i gave it 1000w would the 300w difference be louder to the ear? and should i get the ZX1000.1? or a jl audio1000/1? somewhere along those lines

excuse my ignorance...but whats so special about it??

and why do i constantly see people voting the Kicker L7s but yet they choose not to comment? if anyone chose the kickers id love to see a counter argument

and why do i constantly see people voting the Kicker L7s but yet they choose not to comment? if anyone chose the kickers id love to see a counter argument
Around here L7's go for 150+ all day on CL if it were me I would have sold them, and bought something new. Either way the BA is a nice sub.

thing is..the L7s were only the 05 model..not the new 11 L7s and they werent in perfect condition id say 10/10 performance but 6/10 cosmetic. and i had been trying to sell them for 200 as a package for the longest and had no buyers...everyone wanted around 150..which was just out of my range.

and when you say bought something new...like what? i wudnt say the sub is new..but i actually wouldnt call it anything else..it looks pretty new

and the dimensions of the box i havent measured yet...and if the 300w wouldnt make a louder difference to the ear..then whats the point of upgrading to proper power?

I'll highlight a few things that I think make the vote for the L7's the best option.

Well as posted he had the 05 model L7's, which a lot know to be the best of the L7's. Those model year subs actually can sound quite good and get loud while doing it. He had them in a shit ass prefab that was doing them no good. If they were posted online the right buyer would have came by looking to snag the woofers.

The SPG is a quality driver but, is definitely not what this man was looking for. Being a SQL leaning towards the Sq style driver it should not exceed the spl producable by the L7's in a proper box. The Sq also would not be noticeable unless the op doesn't just blast Waka and Jeezy all day. It is the more mature audio enthusiasts choice but, doesn't seem right for the op.

Also just wondering why all of ya'll keep calling it an Sq driver. They are not impressive to speak on either end but, impressive as a whole they are. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Stiff ass spiders on a sub made for Sq to my mind sounds soo wrong. Boston made the G5 for a reason to fuckin be a badass Sq driver.

OP you definitely made the right choice. I'd say some people chose the L7s cause they figured you'd get more output. I'd say in the right box the Boston can get as loud and sound a whole lot better doing it. Not to mention you've got something that isn't going to be made ever again. Boston Acoustics is not making car audio products anymore so their higher end stuff like this is going to get harder and harder to find.

ok maybe i should mention everything here...

2 Kicker 10 L7 (05 model) Dual 4ohm in a prefab box Ported running on 300w total rms (not 1 ohm stable)

SPG555 13" SVC 2ohm in a terrible box (worse than the L7 prefab) Sealed running on 720ish at 2 ohms

maybe i can get a hellvua lot more accurate reading then...and sorry for not posting accurately

and you said the SQ wouldnt be noticeable..well all i listen to is rap..every once n a while RnB but just rap all the time. but i listen to pretty diverse rap and i realize theres a difference already as it hits pretty loud throughout the spectrum..whereas the L7s hit that one type of bass note really loud and that was it couldve been the box..but the box the BA is in is bad too...so two subs in two bad boxes and one clearly outbangs the other..and i still dont know the dimensions of the BA box yet

2 Kicker 10 L7 (05 model) Dual 4ohm in a prefab box Ported running on 300w total rms (not 1 ohm stable)

SPG555 13" SVC 2ohm in a terrible box (worse than the L7 prefab) Sealed running on 720ish at 2 ohms

maybe i can get a hellvua lot more accurate reading then...and sorry for not posting accurately

and you said the SQ wouldnt be noticeable..well all i listen to is rap..every once n a while RnB but just rap all the time. but i listen to pretty diverse rap and i realize theres a difference already as it hits pretty loud throughout the spectrum..whereas the L7s hit that one type of bass note really loud and that was it couldve been the box..but the box the BA is in is bad too...so two subs in two bad boxes and one clearly outbangs the other..and i still dont know the dimensions of the BA box yet
So much fail in this post. You had the l7's on 300rms in a prefab tuned probably to 45-50hz of course it only hit one range of bass. Next you underpowered the shit out of those kickers and over doubled your power on the next sub which by science a 3db gain. The SPG is in a sealed which will give a much flatter response over a range of frequencies than a prefab ported would ever do.

I think you should quit worrying about it at this point. You have the sub right? Why worry about the others now?

Focus on saving up for an enclosure tailored the the t/s parameters of the Boston. It's cheaper if you can build it yourself, but that's not necessarily as easy as it sounds. Box building isn't for everyone, I personally hate doing it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...