RF Power Series T112D2 Blowing Amps?

its10v1
10+ year member

The Caped Rock-Head
Had my T1 Wired for 1Ω. Kept my gain set between 1/3 and 1/2, Bass Boost off, Low Pass at roughly 85-110hz, sub-sonic filter (if available) set at 25-30hz (estimates based on range of motion of the dials.)

My DEH-2200UB has a Sound Retrieve feature for digital files, (I've used a USB Flash Drive for my music since I installed this Head-unit.) I've used S. Ret. on level 2 because it brings back rich highs and deep lows. EQ on Custom with 0 Treble, 0 Mid, 0 Bass, SLA set on 0. (Each setting goes +/-6, except SLA which is +/-4)

Stock alt/power wires for '98 Grand Prix GTP (Not sure of the Alts amperage.) Duralast Yellow Top Battery.

(Not sure of brand) 4-Gauge Power/Ground, 60 Amp AGU Fuse within 6 inches of the power connection under my hood, Kicker Shielded RCA's, 18-Gauge Blue Remote wire.

So far my T1 ate through an Audiobahn A1300-HCT(Which lasted 6-9months with my T1 until Sunday evening,) and a Kole Audio KX1-2000D (Which only lasted two days.)

Took my sub to a local shop and was told I have a Bad Voice Coil on my T1 (Which has caused the amps to blow) and no audio output on both amps, but they appear to be taking power.

Asked them to leave my sub out of the box (was in a box when I brought it to them.)

Arriving home I break out my handy-dandy Multi-Meter to read the coils for myself.

IMG_20121212_211015.jpg

IMG_20121212_211216.jpg

*Side note, I'm missing the plastic trim piece that surrounds the woofer facade. Plus my genius friend used elastometric sealant around the edges of the subwoofer once upon a time, haven't felt any leaks so haven't cleaned it off.

According to specs from SonicElectronix, the voice coils should read 2.0Ω each.

Help is GREATLY appreciated, Criticism is welcome. Flaming is just plain mean. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Your totally wrong subs can blow amps i have ran across this once. My friend had a Fosgate P3 every amp put to it blow in a matter of days. I thought it was him so i took it out of his car and put it to my 4 ch amp and don't you know it blow my memphis 4 ch to. Everyone on here is quick to say it's the install since they don't have an answer.

Wrong again! I wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it myself. The sub blows inputs on amp. we had a sub blow 4 amps, 3 in his ride and 1 in mine, because i didn't believe him. it was a fosgate too.

If you don't believe him have him send you that sub to install properly in your ride.

Wrong again! I wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it myself. The sub blows inputs on amp. we had a sub blow 4 amps, 3 in his ride and 1 in mine, because i didn't believe him. it was a fosgate too.If you don't believe him have him send you that sub to install properly in your ride.
The coils don't lie dude, you were probably wiring the sub too low, a sub woofer is no more sophisticated than any other basic electrical circuit. Power goes in, power goes out. like I said, the sub was most likely wired at too low of an impedance and the amps couldn't handle it.

Wrong again! I wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it myself. The sub blows inputs on amp. we had a sub blow 4 amps, 3 in his ride and 1 in mine, because i didn't believe him. it was a fosgate too.If you don't believe him have him send you that sub to install properly in your ride.
Did you use the same power and ground imputs..same electrical......sorry subs dont blow amps...if u would have put the sub in your car and it blows your amp then maybe but again stop giving false info

TJ I see my wife is still in your sig.

OP: I would verify that you don't have any grounding in your power wire. Check all wiring that leads to that amp. Either that or low voltage is the likely culprit. As stated a few times already, the sub won't blow the amp. The signals sent from the amp merely pass through the sub. If the sub has a bad VC, the current stops flowing and the amp will go into protect and cease output. It will work when hooked back up to a proper sub, however.

For you to be losing amps, you have either wired incorrectly or have anomalies in your electrical system (low voltage, bad ground, grounded positive, etc)

Subs only do what the amps tell them to do.

The only way it could possibly blow the amp is if the impedance was too low.

2Dcore you have proven nothing besides the fact that you and your buddy blew 4 amps and still don't know why.

I posted links to the specs/ratings for both amps in my original post.. but here's a screenshot from those links:

KoleKX1-2000D.png

*Screenshots from SonicElectronix.com^&v

A1300HCTPower.jpg

Both state they're 1-Ohm stable, and list RMS ratings.

I'm going to tear apart my power wire routing today, and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Assuming I find something, pictures and another post is forthcoming.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, criticism, and so-forth.

*Side Note: Everything people have said is being taken into consideration with an open mind.

*I'm not one to become butt-hurt when it comes to help and feedback about what I've been doing wrong, or what I could have done better from the start. I do greatly appreciate all of the feedback I have received and will receive.

I swear Ive seen a post on here about subs blowing amps. It was a while ago. The thread mentioned something about a short in the voice coil sending DC or AC voltage back to the amp and toasting the output section. Ill have to dig for awhile to find it.

thaaaaaaaaaank yooooooooooou //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
As both voicecoils are reading spot on for that sub it wasnt the sub that blew your amps. Reading anywhere from a 1.5 to a 2.4 on a 2 ohm sub is perfectly normal. Its when you dont get a reading or a very high reading that something is wrong.

Considering both of those amps are pretty much flea market. Im willing to bet you had the gain all the way up on the amp and the bass boost on?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.