SPG555...how good is this OVAL sub??

SPG 555 13" or 2 L7 10s??

• Boston Acoustics SPG555 13" (no box)

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • 2 Kicker L7 10" (prefab)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
well what subs are we talking about that are louder and of comparable size?? clearly there are those huge monsters but i mean just an everyday sub like the L7 is.and please leave out any SQ what so ever...and can anyone point me in the direction of a youtube video that properly displays great SQ?

and it seems im starting to get mixed reviews on this sub

and UnderFire you might have saved this trade..lol Ive never heard that but man that made it easier to breathe..that cleared alot of speculation up.

Well went ahead and got the sub...havent taken it out of the box he put it in because the allen heads are a bytch. ill post a pic of what it looks like in a sec. So far im happy with it. def blows my other subs out the water...except maybe a lil on the low end...and i mean a lil...He said he thru it in some temp box because he felt bad about not giving me a box...so its a lil crappy box but hey..it works....He said its been blowing his amps like crazy tho. Any specific amp i should use for this? its the SVC 2ohm and im running it at ~720w with a Kicker Kx600.1. will be taking it out of the box..just for kicks and pics.

Well went ahead and got the sub...havent taken it out of the box he put it in because the allen heads are a bytch. ill post a pic of what it looks like in a sec. So far im happy with it. def blows my other subs out the water...except maybe a lil on the low end...and i mean a lil...He said he thru it in some temp box because he felt bad about not giving me a box...so its a lil crappy box but hey..it works....He said its been blowing his amps like crazy tho. Any specific amp i should use for this? its the SVC 2ohm and im running it at ~720w with a Kicker Kx600.1. will be taking it out of the box..just for kicks and pics.
Well, the guy obviously doesn't know anything about car audio. If his sub is "blowing his amps like crazy", that's because the final resistance of the sub (2ohm) is lower than the stable resistance load for the amp. He's probably bridging it on an amp that is only 4ohm stable bridged.

You made the right choice. Hearing a sound quality geared subwoofer will in turn make you appreciate sound quality. 95% of the time, people start car audio and only care about having a loud subsonic setup, then they slowly go more and more towards sound quality. The experience differs for everyone, but that's what happens the majority of the time. This is a step in the right direction for you.

yeah man this thing absolutely destroys my trunk..and this is no ordinary trunk. A 95 buick century heavy metal trunk. and depending on how i face the sub...it flexes that side of the trunk...crazy..and this dude said he had 2 of em running on 4000 watts..mann how did he do it

Great sub. Very comparable in sound to the IDMax, but more output. To bad you can't find the matching passive radiator anymore. I had that combo for bit. 1cf box and awesome.

You done good.

Good trade! I don't mind the kicker L subs but I think the quality is lacking.. Every time I ran mine I could smell the coils... I've read some decent reviews on the new one you got.

thanks thanks. Seems like i really got lucky on this trade....well to add any insult to whatever injury.....the dude text me this morning talking about "Thanks for ripping me off...i really appreciate it" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif i have no idea what he was talking about. when we were there i let him hook it up and test it. and i also stayed around twice to make sure everything was ok...first time the terminal was tripping so i stayed to make sure everything worked...and the second time..i just hung around because he said his amp was crappy and kept shutting off on him....i wanted him rolling out banging like i was...so i waited and the thanked me for it..and we left..doesnt sound like i ripped him off... maybe he realized the true product he was giving away was a hell of a lot more valuable than he thought..lol..

all in all very satisfied with the product i have...this thing destroys my trunk like nobodys business. And i wonder if the Passive radiator makes it sound louder?

Passive radiators are equivalent to portingthe box. U add or subtract weight to adjust it.

Ive ran these subs before but prefer my idmax. I always end up going back to the idmax. But, ymmv. This is of course merely an opinion

thanks thanks. Seems like i really got lucky on this trade....well to add any insult to whatever injury.....the dude text me this morning talking about "Thanks for ripping me off...i really appreciate it" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif i have no idea what he was talking about. when we were there i let him hook it up and test it. and i also stayed around twice to make sure everything was ok...first time the terminal was tripping so i stayed to make sure everything worked...and the second time..i just hung around because he said his amp was crappy and kept shutting off on him....i wanted him rolling out banging like i was...so i waited and the thanked me for it..and we left..doesnt sound like i ripped him off... maybe he realized the true product he was giving away was a hell of a lot more valuable than he thought..lol..
all in all very satisfied with the product i have...this thing destroys my trunk like nobodys business. And i wonder if the Passive radiator makes it sound louder?
Ignore the guy. Same thing has happened to me before. Don't let him guilt trip you into trading him back. A deal is a deal. I've done hundreds of craigslist deals (no exaggeration), and that's one of the things I learned in the process. Don't let things get personal.

yeah youre more than likely right. apparently the subs were wired in series and the guy i traded for them about 3 weeks ago didnt tell me that one of the tinsel leads needed to be resoldered. but what he was telling me was that the voice coil has a wire sticking out and the sub will go bad...and from that point on i knew he had no idea where the voice coil even was...so as you said..i didnt take it personal..told him that if the guy had it taped up then just solder it back or leave it wired up...he called me a bytch and then i said good nite...smh..craigslist overall happy with this setup tho. I hear alot of people talking about the ID Max is it better than this sub?

Also..this sub is EXTREMELY STIFF!! the spider is like...man.. like rocks! idk if its because its a heavy SQ sub or if its just nowhere near broken in yet...i get about an 1/8" or less than that of play when pressing the cone...the excursion on it is ridiculous tho..it pops out like crazy!! at least 2 inches

Sounds very healthy! Quality built stuff usually has super stiff spider/cone area. my sa-8 and Gcon both are rediculously stiff. And I'd not worry about the craigslist deal either. Kind if like card laid is card played. And you don't no if he blew something up!

true true...well hes in the past and im definitely not worring about him anymore. yeah it kinda took me by suprise because ive never had a sub this stiff before. even right out the box. and the surround is also pretty hard...this could all be due to the fact that ive never owned anything but kicker..lol so hang in there as this is just a kid with his new toy!! one more question..why is it this sub is SVC? most subs that are high quality/SPL have DVC ive even seen QVC but svc? thats kicker comp stuff..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...