speaker upgrade input on choice

Participant count
  • Participant list

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
upgrading my focal 165 a1 component front and coax rear, looking at the following for the front and hoping they make a coax in the same version for the rear, need input. why? to better match the rms of my amp so i can pour a little more juice into the speaker without blowing them, alpine pdxv9.

Hertz ESK 165 - 100w/93db

CDT CL 62 - 190w/92db

CDT CL 62Pro - 200w/92db

Hertz DSK165 - 80w/93db

CDT CL60 - 170w/??db

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs - 100w/89db

or any suggestion. prefer minimum 90w rms, and minimum 91db efficiancy.

142 views and no response?

Well I got it down to Hertz ESL 165 or CDT CL 62(I just dont know if there is any real difference between the ex540 or satnet 480 crossovers for the cdl). I've been told by woofers the the CDT is better than Hertz. True or not?

Then Massive Audio RX6 Or Image Dynamics CTX-65 for rear fill....leaning towards ID.

Any help.

Hertz is an excellent company with great products. The ESK-165L is quite efficient.

you don't need rear tweeters - woofers only is preferred for rear fill.

You do want to match tonality of front and rear. so buying the same type of speaker is preferred - otherwise just keep what you have for rear fill.

power ratings are relative to time and frequency range. rating a speaker at 200W for one second is much different than 100W for an hour. note the CDT power rating is only with a 125Hz high pass crossover while the Hertz rating is at full frequency response.

I recommend you hit up @Vertex Audio and inquire on some Ultra Subs SS-6 components. Much better than anything you have listed and will handle high power while sounding great. let your current rear speakers stay as-is (maybe disconnect tweeters). rears should be turned down anyway so the fronts are dominant.

what are you using for a high pass crossover? how are the speakers mounted and sealed?

upgrading my focal 165 a1 component front and coax rear, looking at the following for the front and hoping they make a coax in the same version for the rear, need input. why? to better match the rms of my amp so i can pour a little more juice into the speaker without blowing them, alpine pdxv9.
Hertz ESK 165 - 100w/93db

CDT CL 62 - 190w/92db

CDT CL 62Pro - 200w/92db

Hertz DSK165 - 80w/93db

CDT CL60 - 170w/??db

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs - 100w/89db

or any suggestion. prefer minimum 90w rms, and minimum 91db efficiancy.
We actually just got some very lightly used SS-6 comps from ultra in. I can make you a great deal. I have a pair in my truck and LOVE em!

@keep_hope_alive,

1/ i know the rms is relative to the frequency range and time, i dont have to worry about frequency because i actually cut front stage around 200, so im ok with that; but what do you think the time test is on the cdt, do you think the claim is over rated.

2/ woofersetc said the hertz crossovers arent very good, that they go bad, what do you think about that?

im mostly using my 360.3 to cut out freq i dont need, but between the front mid and tweeter, im using whatever crossover comes with the set. mids are in the doors, dynomatted and deadened with holes sealed up, tweets are by side mirrors.

so are you saying the hertz is better than the cdt?

@vertex audio,

how much? you see from my initial selection roughly what im trying to spend.

thanks

aside from waiting for vertex audio to get back to me, i guess my real question is which one of the two will Equal--come close to equalling--or surpass my current focal 165 a1 in clarity and definition?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.