Speaker pods

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello I have some focal ps 130V components in my door and I've been redoing some of my install process. I just now put some sound deadener in the doors but now I'm wondering about speaker pods and if they are worth it. I have done some research on treating speaker pods with sound deadening material and then some kind of filler to make it sound spacious. Any insight on a good speaker pod to buy? I also plan on making some custom wood speaker rings at some point.

Hello I have some focal ps 130V components in my door and I've been redoing some of my install process. I just now put some sound deadener in the doors but now I'm wondering about speaker pods and if they are worth it. I have done some research on treating speaker pods with sound deadening material and then some kind of filler to make it sound spacious. Any insight on a good speaker pod to buy? I also plan on making some custom wood speaker rings at some point.
I've had very good results with Q-Forms kickpanels. Do add deadener and they will come with some batting to put in the enclosure (which can't hurt). Not sure who all else makes them or if you feel bold enough to try to DIY, but almost anything should be an improvement over stock speaker locations in the vast majority of vehicles.

I had a guy custom make me a set of 3D printed tweeter pods from a 3D file I found online and he made them to my tweeter specs. Cost me 25 bucks and was worth it. Just gotta sand them down and then I have a custom can of spray paint that matches my interior so it matches up and looks a ton better. Just use the contact button and see what he can do.

I've had very good results with Q-Forms kickpanels. Do add deadener and they will come with some batting to put in the enclosure (which can't hurt). Not sure who all else makes them or if you feel bold enough to try to DIY, but almost anything should be an improvement over stock speaker locations in the vast majority of vehicles.
One thing that I really enjoy about my system is the soundstage if I put the speakers in the kick panels wouldn't that make the soundstage seem wonky.

So Q-forms doesnt make kick panels for my vehicle and I have no experience with DIY when it comes to fiberglass or anything like it. Any other ideas?

Would it be best to mount the tweeters in the kick panels as well? I currently have them above the dash in the pillars.
The issue with separating components is phase. Wavelength is the speed of sound in air divide by the frequency. Wavelengths get pretty small in midrange to tweet crossover neighborhood. It is best to have all voice coils equal distance from your ears so that everything hits you in-phase. I have had mixed results listening to tweeters up high (particularly bouncing off the windshield) but mostly bad.

At the end of the day, if it sounds good, it is good, so suit yourself and test everything.

I did some simple pods recently with some MDF and spray foam. I'm pretty **** at it, but there's some youtube videos of dudes sculpting body panels out of spray foam so it should be very do-able to make any size/shape you like simple and cheap out of that if you're patient and good with a knife.

its good to give it a go mate! Just check if your ride does not have air bags installed in the pillars is that will cause some serious planning around it. Usually, it is on the top so the bottom should be ok. If you are going to use you Pillars, please disconnect the negative of the battery before you go removing the pillars. The kick pillars were good but unless you drive your vehicle with no passengers, you cannot enjoy your audio gear. So best to mount them in Pillars and angle them towards the center roof dome light. You may need to use a laser beam to get this right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...