Sounddeading sub box

Pimenteljoe

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
Hey I’m curious what if any one’s thoughts about adding sounddeading to a sub box.

i have a ATrend Pro Tuned 12" Dual Vented Divided Chamber 1" Faceplate Subwoofer Enclosure (ATE12DV)
And I have 2 hertz SPL 12” subs.

so my question is what if any. Would this impact or improve the sound.

please give me some feed back

LOL.. That would have to be an experiment to try. I could see maybe doing a fiber glassed enclosure or a cookie cutter plastic type enclosure.. but a cheap wooden enclosure even at that seems like a waste of time and money and more than likely poor acoustics

LOL.. That would have to be an experiment to try. I could see maybe doing a fiber glassed enclosure or a cookie cutter plastic type enclosure.. but a cheap wooden enclosure even at that seems like a waste of time and money and more than likely poor acoustics

Sound deadening subs is an oxymoron if I'm not mistaken.

Waste of deadener you would be better off stapling a thin layer of fiberglass insulation or poly full to the walls away from the port.

This will help reduce rear wave distortion caused by the reflected rear wave coming back to hit the back side of the cone.

But don't get it twisted you likely won't hear the difference.

Ok, so fun fact fact. Circa 10 yrs ago I built a subwoofer wall and did exactly this.(4 18" 26. cu. ft. Ported to 35 hz via reinforced sonotube). I laid a layer of sound deadener and 2" acoustic foam tiles. Did it make a difference. Yes, but I think I built my wall like ass and it tightened everything up a bit. I'm having trouble articulating how it changed the response but I guess I could say it felt "critically damped"; whatever the hell that means.
In a larger enclosure there is going to be some cavity resonances and output at a higher frequencies. Air turbulence, material resonance, air being compressed and rarified around the baskets and motors, and port chuffing creates it. I think an interesting experiment would be to take a walled off 4th order and place tiles in the ported section. I thought of this when I was watching JerryAintloud finish the 4th in his jeep on Youtube and he said that the cabin had an "echo". I would imagine you would lose a little output but it would be interesting to hear the difference.
I'm all about that tonality life when I build a system. Anything that makes it sound better or let's me listen longer without fatigue I will go the extra mile for. The thinking is that one small change doesn't really make much of a difference but a shitload of small changes, well they change everything.

You gotta love the "I've never tried it, so neither should you" responses.

I don't think it'll make a difference on the outside of the box, but deadener on the inside of the box has potential. It would provide benefits similar to fiberglassing the inside of the box or rounding bends/corners.

I'd love to see it tested!

My thoughts are, if I was to sound dead this box. It would be on the inside. This way to seal it up more and to see if there is any more of a punch or anything. What’s your guys thoughts?

My thoughts are, if I was to sound dead this box. It would be on the inside. This way to seal it up more and to see if there is any more of a punch or anything. What’s your guys thoughts?
Like Winkychevelle said, you get a better result by stapling polyfill to the inside walls. Many moons ago I had a pair of 12" Punch in a round ports box. I was inspired to fill the box with fiberglass insulation. It got rid of the boominess and tightened the kickdrum, so Metallica sounded way better. Friends asked if I changed the system, said it sounded better. So that experiment worked for me. I undid it because I realized I was blowing fiberglass particles into the cabin.

That's a totally different question. Your box should be sealed on the inside for sure. A layer of sound deadener on the inside could help.

Effectively you will reduce the panels resonant frequency and reduce high frequency distortion, but at the same time lowering the resonance frequency also allows the frequency to be at a point in which the subwoofer is stronger and you may very well increase your distortion at a lower frequency.

Aside from that you will be lowering the boxes internal airspace which will cause the box to peak harder at a higher frequency unless you change the port itself.

As stated before you would be better off using a material to absorb the rearwave

Something I did when building a sealed enclosure was to fiberglass resin the inside of the enclosure. The resin would make the box air tight and definitely add some strength. Adding sound deadener to each panel of the enclosure I’m sure will change how it vibrates but will it be worth it? Only one way to find out is to do it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...