Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

See now that's a constructive comment... lol Could have said that the first time.. And yes I do have an SPL setup but to "MY EAR" it sounds good... Never said anything about competing against other sq setups because I clearly don't have one. You seem to actually know what the hell your talking about so would two opti 12s on a opti 5k be louder at 40hz. I'm going to sell the soundstreams but I want to see my numbers before then... I just want a direction to move towards either 2 15 skars or 2 12" optis. In this case in a civic 2 12's is looking better. And I never metered the skar yet. Estimating around 147 148 at 40hz. I did do a 141 on 900 rms with a single addictive audio V3 15" in a 3 cube box tuned to 42 ish 6 inch aero port. And it was done on termlab through MECA, Mic in passenger seat, driver door opened anywhere from 8 to 16 inches (best results)
Build quality of Lanzar products in general is questionable. As much as the Skar is NOT = Nightshade and there's a lot of hate here, I'd trust them over lanzar subs. Opti amps seem pretty solid, but they have so many model numbers/names I don't know which is which. I'd stick to the more well known (reliable) 5K's , Atomic, Sundown 4500, RD D9, American Bass (and the dozen that are the same boards as these). They are proven performers and can be had used for 650-800$ range if you shop around, and a few variants can be had for not much more new if you wait for a sale or know somebody.

You do realize that from 141 to 152 is a really huge jump. As you get up into high 140's you will very likely no longer gain 3db for doubling power and/or cone area. A friend of mine does @ 150 out of a trunk civic with 5K and a single 15 (db drag style sealed), he has done 52 and change with 10K but subs don't survive.... really subs don't survive 5K for long. His box is very solid and he has a lot of work into it.

If you want to break 150 you should also buy an SPL meter, some woodworking tools, and lumber. I don't believe that new subs are going to be the magic answer that will fix either your getting that much louder, or being able to play 25hz properly.

Build quality of Lanzar products in general is questionable. As much as the Skar is NOT = Nightshade and there's a lot of hate here, I'd trust them over lanzar subs. Opti amps seem pretty solid, but they have so many model numbers/names I don't know which is which. I'd stick to the more well known (reliable) 5K's , Atomic, Sundown 4500, RD D9, American Bass (and the dozen that are the same boards as these). They are proven performers and can be had used for 650-800$ range if you shop around, and a few variants can be had for not much more new if you wait for a sale or know somebody.
You do realize that from 141 to 152 is a really huge jump. As you get up into high 140's you will very likely no longer gain 3db for doubling power and/or cone area. A friend of mine does @ 150 out of a trunk civic with 5K and a single 15 (db drag style sealed), he has done 52 and change with 10K but subs don't survive.... really subs don't survive 5K for long. His box is very solid and he has a lot of work into it.

If you want to break 150 you should also buy an SPL meter, some woodworking tools, and lumber. I don't believe that new subs are going to be the magic answer that will fix either your getting that much louder, or being able to play 25hz properly.
I have all the tools I need to build whatever I need. Eventually there will be a wall in the civic but... thats not for a few more to maybe 5 years from now until this isn't my daily. Once I get my numbers i will most likely sell the 2 soundstreams and get something worth it's weight. But until then I just needed to kick around a few ideas. 2 12's in a civic would probably do what I need it to. It will take me a month to build but will be worth it. But SS amps will be gone too many people saying bad things.

I apologize for the condescending tone and put up for what everyone thinks is false information. I only said that because the stats of the zvx's coming out were projected to be better. And from what I understand the owner kevin of skar is a benefactor of sundown.

My next upgrade will most likely be the ZV4 15 sundown or two 12's. Ill just save up for it. I know those will be able to handle the power for sure.

I have all the tools I need to build whatever I need. Eventually there will be a wall in the civic but... thats not for a few more to maybe 5 years from now until this isn't my daily. Once I get my numbers i will most likely sell the 2 soundstreams and get something worth it's weight. But until then I just needed to kick around a few ideas. 2 12's in a civic would probably do what I need it to. It will take me a month to build but will be worth it. But SS amps will be gone too many people saying bad things. I apologize for the condescending tone and put up for what everyone thinks is false information. I only said that because the stats of the zvx's coming out were projected to be better. And from what I understand the owner kevin of skar is a benefactor of sundown.

My next upgrade will most likely be the ZV4 15 sundown or two 12's. Ill just save up for it. I know those will be able to handle the power for sure.
Single sub will not be happy with 5K for very long, anyone who says different is misleading you. Go with the Skars if you like them, you will find your numbers with trial and error in box-building and dropping impedance once you have a proper amp.

look up anton miller. you may know who he is, 153 sealed on the dash, basic trunk mwspl, 1983 clamped watts.

I'm always wanting to do an 8 setup gonna be between sundown SA-8 and the MA-8 I like sundown too and would run either. In the future It's a great possibility I will be running two ZV4 12s
See now that's a constructive comment... lol Could have said that the first time.. And yes I do have an SPL setup but to "MY EAR" it sounds good... Never said anything about competing against other sq setups because I clearly don't have one. You seem to actually know what the hell your talking about so would two opti 12s on a opti 5k be louder at 40hz. I'm going to sell the soundstreams but I want to see my numbers before then... I just want a direction to move towards either 2 15 skars or 2 12" optis. In this case in a civic 2 12's is looking better. And I never metered the skar yet. Estimating around 147 148 at 40hz. I did do a 141 on 900 rms with a single addictive audio V3 15" in a 3 cube box tuned to 42 ish 6 inch aero port. And it was done on termlab through MECA, Mic in passenger seat, driver door opened anywhere from 8 to 16 inches (best results)
Yea I'm just gonna drop volume on lows I like my tuning as of now its very musical and will post good #'s on the meter.
Not to be a **** or anything but do yourself a favor and do not purchase the sundown zv4's for these few simple reasons:

These subs are designed to increase spl for those who would benefit from an increased amount of xmax. Meaning you would not benefit much if not lose spl since these subs offer slightly less cone area than a standard sub in the same size category and also that you tune your enclosures in the 40hz range meaning you really don't require the extra xmax.

Also I would love to see what your current set up is doing on the term lab because I highly doubt you are doing anywhere near a 147-148..Too bad you arn't located closer to me in PA because I would show you what a 148db+ actually sounds like.

Also if your set up was actually in the least bit musical you wouldn't have to turn your volume down on "the lows" which I really doubt are even low frequencies at all.

Like I said, not trying to be rude but just giving you a little reality check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a **** or anything but do yourself a favor and do not purchase the sundown zv4's for these few simple reasons:
These subs are designed to increase spl for those who would benefit from an increased amount of xmax. Meaning you would not benefit much if not lose spl since these subs offer slightly less cone area than a standard sub in the same size category and also that you tune your enclosures in the 40hz range meaning you really don't require the extra xmax.

Also I would love to see what your current set up is doing on the term lab because I highly doubt you are doing anywhere near a 147-148..Too bad you arn't located closer to me in PA because I would show you what a 148db+ actually sounds like.

Also if your set up was actually in the least bit musical you wouldn't have to turn your volume down on "the lows" which I really doubt are even low frequencies at all.

Like I said, not trying to be rude but just giving you a little reality check.
I know what 148 sounds like I know what 150 sounds like, hell I even know what 158 sounds like, and I feel this current setup is doing at the very least 147. Comps start in march and I will be proving to you that I know what I can and cannot score.

Single sub will not be happy with 5K for very long, anyone who says different is misleading you. Go with the Skars if you like them, you will find your numbers with trial and error in box-building and dropping impedance once you have a proper amp.
Do you think I would be better off with an AQ2200?

Could only be a step up from the Soundstream IMO. I know the 2 guys up my way that ran those SS amps gained big when they got into American Bass amps.
Ill have to keep my eye out for some AB amps to pop up because the price on new ones are really expensive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.