Designing your own motor

*Ace*
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So for my next setup I think I would like to build a custom subwoofer from scratch. I found suppliers for all the parts I will need, however now I just need some type of software to simulate different motor designs. I need to see how making the top plate thicker, increasing the width of the gap, etc. will change the magnetic field and how it interacts with the coil.

Or, does anyone has the exact specifications for well known motors such as the TC9 and others? Specs like the gap width/height, and any other spec used on the motor?

this is going to be expensive...
I'm aware. Do many manufacturer actually use programs or do they go by trial and error? I would imagine they have to use some sort of software? I have FEMM currently but am looking for something better.

This sounds really cool, but might be a Whole lot of trial, error, and frustration
I'm sure it will be, but even Sundown, Fi, Audioque, etc. had to start from somewhere. Who knows, maybe years down the road I could start my own company. I just want to learn how to do all this. I don't mind spending the time or money, I just can't find the information needed to do it yet.

I'm sure it will be, but even Sundown, Fi, Audioque, etc. had to start from somewhere. Who knows, maybe years down the road I could start my own company. I just want to learn how to do all this. I don't mind spending the time or money, I just can't find the information needed to do it yet.
If you end up doing it, would you mind doing a write up? Im sure many of us would be interested in seeing the process

Well that's all fine and everything but do those programs simulate real world conditions and what happens when there is pressurized hot air inside of the gap? Inductance? Or are u trying to simply model flux?

Well that's all fine and everything but do those programs simulate real world conditions and what happens when there is pressurized hot air inside of the gap? Inductance? Or are u trying to simply model flux?
The FEMM software I have right now does not seem all that advanced. That's why I'am asking what other software is there. I don't mind spending money for one, but I need one that can accurately simulate motors in real world conditions, if such a program exists.

yes bigger companys have software but its not cheap. another thing there is still protypes because like everything it looks good on paper dosent perform the same.

i have built some but used charged slugs and wouldnt recomend people going this route. im a toolmaker by trade so making the parts is easy.

to even start gotta know what you are going for in a subwoofer.

i know all about tc9 motors and the 3 versions...

yes bigger companys have software but its not cheap. another thing there is still protypes because like everything it looks good on paper dosent perform the same. i have built some but used charged slugs and wouldnt recomend people going this route. im a toolmaker by trade so making the parts is easy.

to even start gotta know what you are going for in a subwoofer.

i know all about tc9 motors and the 3 versions...
Could you share some info on the TC9 motor? Like if you wanted to tool your own TC9 motor, what would: the measurements of the gap height/width be, top plate height/diameter, diameter/height of bottom plate, type of steel that the top plate and bottom plate is made out of, pole piece width/height, is the pole piece hollowed out to allow airflow and if so how much is drilled out, what type of mags are used (Y35, Grade 5, Grade 8,etc.). Are the mags offset from the top and bottom plate, or are they all stacked evenly?

This is the type of information I'm hoping someone would share with me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.