Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

Bigmann6374
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Moon, PA
In a bit of a debate with subwoofers right now my skar audio zvx-15 which I recently purchased has been good to me but its on a soundstream rub2500 and I'm a bit disappointing at the subwoofer because it is bottoming out on the low notes and the amplifier is not clipping. I don't understand how a 8 layer coil with a 340 oz mag could bottom out on 2.5k if its even getting 2.5k. btw box is right under 4 cubes.

Now I am also debating buying 2 12" lanzar opti 1233d's rated at 3000rms a piece and I have seen them take it. Now would this be an upgrade or a down grade in your opinions? And what are some suggestions you may have? I don't have deep pockets so upper Fi, DD, DC, blah blah blah is gonna be too much. I want to hit at least 152 db with 5k out of the trunk of a honda civic. Suggest away!

You're leaving way too much unknown OP. What are you tuned to, vs the notes the sub is bottoming out to? Are you sure there isn't clipping in the song it is bottoming out on? (Not all songs are recorded equally).

You are also limiting yourself from many of the subs that will actually handle 2500w daily without giving up. You may want to sacrifice power for cone area if a number is your goal.

Whats your box tuned to and what notes is it bottoming out on?

I think youre going to need a little more power and a really good box design to hit your goal of 152 from a civic trunk.

Tuned to 40 and lows I'm talking about are 25 to 30 hz. And Ill check into the song clipping. Also #'s is my goal going to compete again this year.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

What amp will u be running ..u said 5k?
2 Rubicon 2500's

Gee, I wonder...... Trying to push a sub designed for 1500W RMS with an amp that putting out 2500W RMS and wondering why its bottoming out?

This isn't a Sundown sub. I doubt they designed this sub to handle much more than 1700 - 1800 of CLEAN power, and even then, that's pushing it.

The Lanzars on 2500W might not sound as good. You would be pushing them to about 1/2 of their power handling so they are not really in the "zone" for performance.

I would rather go with 1 high quality sub like a TC LMS Ultra. Otherwise run 1 Lanzar at 2500W, since it can handle 3000W RMS, to keep it more within the power handling it was designed for.

I got 2 dd3512.s for sale 440 shipped i had them on my aq3500.1 and they took every bit of it all day everyday..what were u gona pay for the opti.s
Budget is 400 for optis.. But that is in 1 1/2 weeks.

Tuned to 40 and lows I'm talking about are 25 to 30 hz. And Ill check into the song clipping. Also #'s is my goal going to compete again this year. 

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

2 Rubicon 2500's
If you're tuning to the 40's and expecting to play 20-30hz notes very well, you have another thing coming. Your sub is probably unloading because you're trying to play too far under tuning. when you play under tuning the box doesn't help control your cone, it's being controlled by your motor and suspension. SO obviously the suspension and motor arent stiff/strong enough to control the cone well enough to keep it from bottoming out.

If you're tuning to the 40's and expecting to play 20-30hz notes very well, you have another thing coming. Your sub is probably unloading because you're trying to play too far under tuning. when you play under tuning the box doesn't help control your cone, it's being controlled by your motor and suspension. SO obviously the suspension and motor arent stiff/strong enough to control the cone well enough to keep it from bottoming out.
Yea u cant expect to play 10-20 below tuning without some stif *** softparts

Gee, I wonder...... Trying to push a sub designed for 1500W RMS with an amp that putting out 2500W RMS and wondering why its bottoming out?
This isn't a Sundown sub. I doubt they designed this sub to handle much more than 1700 - 1800 of CLEAN power, and even then, that's pushing it.

The Lanzars on 2500W might not sound as good. You would be pushing them to about 1/2 of their power handling so they are not really in the "zone" for performance.

I would rather go with 1 high quality sub like a TC LMS Ultra. Otherwise run 1 Lanzar at 2500W, since it can handle 3000W RMS, to keep it more within the power handling it was designed for.
The ZVX's have better specs than the nighshades so they are exactly like sundown...

Yea u cant expect to play 10-20 below tuning without some stif *** softparts
Alright then I'm not crazy thanks for the help I'm tuned to 40 because I'm competing again this summer and I'm going for 148 this year right now I know I'm above 146-147db Meca meters. Ill just dial back on the clarion eq for the low lows.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.