Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

Yeah iirc you're only supposed to play around 5hz below tuning I could see trying for lower if you were under-powering them but not on that power just my .02. As for the zvx being better than nightshades I'll just sit here quietly and act like I agree.
That isn't necessarily true. I don't see any cone control issues until 12 hz below tuning, and my box is massive and I'm running 4k per woofer. It is a combination of the box, the woofer, the power, and the EQ/Xover settings as a whole that determines this. However, with that said hardly any sub has stiff enough softs to handle 15hz below tuning on full power.

Tuned to 40 and lows I'm talking about are 25 to 30 hz. And Ill check into the song clipping. Also #'s is my goal going to compete again this year. 

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

2 Rubicon 2500's
If you feel the need to play 25hz you should tune down @ 30hz, you're pissing into the wind trying to play 25hz in a box tuned 40hz.

The ZVX's have better specs than the nighshades so they are exactly like sundown...
Really?

Yea I'm just gonna drop volume on lows I like my tuning as of now its very musical and will post good #'s on the meter.
Nothing says SQ like 40hz tuning and Soundstream amp.

picard-facepalm.jpg

If you feel the need to play 25hz you should tune down @ 30hz, you're pissing into the wind trying to play 25hz in a box tuned 40hz.

Really?

picard-facepalm.jpg
You covered everything i was thinking while reading this HORRIBLE thread

I just picked up 3 vvx 8"s ...debating on grabbing a 4th ...or running 3 ...ill keep u posted on that build should be interesting ... Going in the wife's impala within the next month or so
Nice man definitely do keep me posted!

Really?

picard-facepalm.jpg
Just curios but as with many opinions out there on car audio, most people who criticize never actually heard or owned the setup. I think the subwoofer is quite musical especially tuned at 40 hz. And another thing I don't have 5k to drop on equipment so get off my *** man give me a break I'm doing a very respectable DB reading and my car sounds great IMO. As for you trying to be an *** troll, get a life and go pick on someone else because I'm one person you don't **** with... I asked for help not criticism so **** off.

For anyone else who actually contributed to the thread I thank you this site is to give and receive help, not to criticize. In the future I will be designing a different box and running either 2 15's or 2 12's but for now I'm just going to play within reason and have fun.

The ZVX's have better specs than the nighshades so they are exactly like sundown...
Umm, NO.

2000-Watts RMS Power Handling

Over 2 inches peak to peak excursion

Wide, triple-layer foam surrounds for high excursion

Plus they have a lot better quality parts.

Oh snap, you've been caught exaggerating... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

15hz below tuning...I called it. Most sub in a decent box is going to bottom out that far below tuning if you are putting anywhere close to RMS power to it.
Raise SSF, or drop the volume on notes that low.
No. A decent sub can play at RMS, even free air and not bottom out. If he wasn't trying to push 2.5KW to a 1.5KW RMS sub, it probably wouldn't bottom out. It doesn't matter anyway. Tuning at 40hz isn't for SQ anyway.

**** off you didn't have to read or comment whats your godly setup that makes mine look bad? Troll
i didnt say anything about ur setup i was talking about the comment about the zvx being better than the ns line!!

What year civic is it? 2 or 4 door?I have a 98 4 door and was doing 148@30 with an m3a amp and an 18.

Would do 141@19hz.

Very much want box specs. Pics would be a plus to! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

I'm one person you don't **** with... I asked for help not criticism so **** off.
BRTky.jpg

If you have all the answers why did you start this thread at all? Just because my (and others) comments don't jive with what you wanted to hear doesn't make them invalid.

What is your best SPL score to date? What org? Where is the mic? Doors/windows sealed or open?

Sub with super stiff suspension is not musical period. Tuning @ 40hz with that sub is not musical. I've actually built subs that'll play that far below tuning without bottoming out and let me tell you they're not musical and they're not efficient, at least not efficient over anything other than a very very narrow bandwidth.

If you want to play low, tune box low, if you want to play fartbox tune high and don't pretend it's musical. Pick one and run with it, or try to be somewhere in between and be happy with it, but don't try to be in between and pretend it'll do either particularly well.

Get rid of the Soundstream amps if you want to get loud or sound good, they will do neither well. Most of the guys up my way gained big when they got rid of soundstream amps and got into something better.

BRTky.jpg

If you have all the answers why did you start this thread at all? Just because my (and others) comments don't jive with what you wanted to hear doesn't make them invalid.

What is your best SPL score to date? What org? Where is the mic? Doors/windows sealed or open?

Sub with super stiff suspension is not musical period. Tuning @ 40hz with that sub is not musical. I've actually built subs that'll play that far below tuning without bottoming out and let me tell you they're not musical and they're not efficient, at least not efficient over anything other than a very very narrow bandwidth.

If you want to play low, tune box low, if you want to play fartbox tune high and don't pretend it's musical. Pick one and run with it, or try to be somewhere in between and be happy with it, but don't try to be in between and pretend it'll do either particularly well.

Get rid of the Soundstream amps if you want to get loud or sound good, they will do neither well. Most of the guys up my way gained big when they got rid of soundstream amps and got into something better.
See now that's a constructive comment... lol Could have said that the first time.. And yes I do have an SPL setup but to "MY EAR" it sounds good... Never said anything about competing against other sq setups because I clearly don't have one. You seem to actually know what the hell your talking about so would two opti 12s on a opti 5k be louder at 40hz. I'm going to sell the soundstreams but I want to see my numbers before then... I just want a direction to move towards either 2 15 skars or 2 12" optis. In this case in a civic 2 12's is looking better. And I never metered the skar yet. Estimating around 147 148 at 40hz. I did do a 141 on 900 rms with a single addictive audio V3 15" in a 3 cube box tuned to 42 ish 6 inch aero port. And it was done on termlab through MECA, Mic in passenger seat, driver door opened anywhere from 8 to 16 inches (best results)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.