Should we lower the price of Second SKin?

asphlat dampers are not as consistant as butyls.

they have low heat tollerances and often melt. Adding butyl additives helps but only some.

A asphalt mat, with butyl additives with a heat tolelrnac of 350 degrees will have a softening point of 220-230 at which point the material can fall off the panel.at 200 degrees the rated STL or STC factor is cut by about 75%

So the higher the heat tollerance the better damping in higher heat applications.

NOt saying this will happen with any of the listed brands but it can happen with asphalt mats.

Asphalt is also high in VOCs and smells.. toxicicy depends on the asphalt.

forum members get all A stock items at B-stock prices

ANT

people who KNOW what they're talking about will still pay more for premium deadening, as will those who've used something like Peel And Seal in Arizona or another very hot climate...who NEED something that'll take heat over 200degrees and whatnot....but not everyone needs that

deadening serves one purpose, to add mass. if you add mass (that cant vibrate) to a metal panel, that metal panel wont vibrate/rattle either. personally, i live in Boston. we have some extreme temperature changes sometimes. it's been 20degrees below zero, and over 105degrees....depends on the season. ive used B-Quiet for nearly 2 years now, and never had a problem. i've never noticed a smell, its never fallen down, its never had an issue adhering to anything in the car (although i did stain an old pair of pants when i got some stuck to me, didnt realize it, and accidentally rubbed it in)

i've heard wonderful things about SecondSkin, but to simple add mass, i cant justify the cost of it (especially where i have over 200^2ft of B-Quiet in my car, as well as 120^2 of opencell deadening)

my vote....release an asphalt based product. no, it wont do the extremes that Damplifier will, but it'll do the job for a lot larger group of people, who's primary concern is cost.

my vote....release an asphalt based product. no, it wont do the extremes that Damplifier will, but it'll do the job for a lot larger group of people, who's primary concern is cost.
This is true...you should have a bottom level product such as suggested. But note the advantages of your higher end products.

Maybe introduce an asphalt based as Damplifer, and make ur current Damplifer SE (Special edition, better heat tolerance etc...) and keep Damplifier Pro. If this is feasible (sp?) i see this as being one of the best bets. I love it when damplening materials do their job and are less than $2 per sq. ft. shipped. Glad you asked for input ANT! Good luck!

NG

most i'd probably pay was like $1.75/sq foot. i am looking for some awesome sound deadener in the spring though. change the price to $1.75 so i can buy a 100sq foot roll from you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. THanks! jp but between $1.50-$2.00 would be ok.

Maybe introduce an asphalt based as Damplifer, and make ur current Damplifer SE
SS SE lol. catchy name.
[/QUOTE]

I think taking a cue from dynamat would be a good idea. What I mean by that is come up with a door kit, a trunk kit, a underhood kit, a sml and lrg cabin kit and a entire car kit. Then have 2 levels, one the best of the best (and label it as so) which would contain your all butyl prduct and the second the average joe product with asphalt/butyl composite everywhere but the most important of areas. Offer a seperate kit with all the tools (for the newb-no profit on this one). This would gain you the sales of the newb with money to blow so long as you market directly against the big boys.

Then for those in the know just offer rolls in 25, 50 & 100 sq ft with big discounts for the 100ft product. I am a believer in lower prices and make less on each sale but make it up in the volume you move. And you have to come with numbers for people. You know something like yeah you pay 20% more but you get 50% more performance. Otherwise it is just going to be a price war in which case you'll lose. Just my 2 cents.

I was under the impression that the Raammat BXT was butyl and not asphalt? Perhaps I am just stupid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ya but i bet you are still cheaper than my fav cascade though. reason i like cascade is your doors dont weigh 15 lbs more after you are done. what price point are you really trying to go for? if you go real low you will pick up sales but after the initial buying sales would drop off i would imagine. i would do it as a profitability per sale aspect rather than say it cost 70% of what out earlier product costs so we will drop it 30%, you gotta know your sales volume.

asphlat dampers are not as consistant as butyls.they have low heat tollerances and often melt. Adding butyl additives helps but only some.

A asphalt mat, with butyl additives with a heat tolelrnac of 350 degrees will have a softening point of 220-230 at which point the material can fall off the panel.at 200 degrees the rated STL or STC factor is cut by about 75%

So the higher the heat tollerance the better damping in higher heat applications.

NOt saying this will happen with any of the listed brands but it can happen with asphalt mats.

Asphalt is also high in VOCs and smells.. toxicicy depends on the asphalt.

forum members get all A stock items at B-stock prices

ANT

can you be a member of this forum n still get that discountt??? need some liquid deadner...but i dont want that edead blue color in my trunk...feel me?

I need some SS baad..... but I think the company should keep the prices the same and spend the extra profits on marketing and getting to be more mainstream go around the corner and its there type. Then once the product is a lot more popular lower prices a bit and blow away inferior products then SS will be everyone's choice.

After reading all this, the only thing I can do is ask what kind of profit margin are we looking at? I'm a fan of the standard 20% markup. You make profit be selling lots of it, but this kind of business might not find that very feasable.

As far as getting out an asphalt based product. I'd say go for it. Something almost exactly like peel&seel, and priced competitively. Everyone new to deadening out there goes "Well I won't put p&s in my car cause it's a house product!!", and your variation would be right up their ally. Combine normal rolls with some panels cleverly shaped right for doors, trunks, and firewalls. Call them "Asphalt Car Panel kits". Hell, tailor them specific for makes of cars. You would have that low cost entry level product, and something people new to the scene can easily use. Combine that with the word of mouth "Well I bought this Second SKin ACP kit and it fit like a dream. Cost me X dollars and covered my doors just perfect. Took about 20 minutes to do."

I was under the impression that the Raammat BXT was butyl and not asphalt? Perhaps I am just stupid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Correction. Possible SBR with R being the rubber, in which case the additives are butyl rubber. THe percentage of Butyl I can not say. could very well be that it is a pure Butyl blend though

as far as exposing my markup, thats not something I am willing to do. I have to have some level discretion there.

I will take everything you guys have said in to consideration....

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming

ANT

Ah, I see. Still good enough for me.......I tried going to the SS website last night to check on the prices and it gave me some crazy script errors when it tried to load the product menu. Just thought I'd let you know.

well i kno the customer is alway's right but that is also how there get a bad name if they made inferior product. LIke autotek for example. In the early 90's they where an awesome company. But there product did not sell so they lowered there quality but the are more mainstream. I will not buy there new stuff at all. BUt this really seams liket that audiobahn and lightning audio deal. Like they use to make great stuff like 5 or 5 years ago. But they wanted more customers so they just adveristed more and got better deals to place like cirucuit city and best buy. RE audio will be faced with this same decision.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.