How should i set my gain

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr FaceCaser

CarAudio.com Regular
So currently my gain is set on 0 db test tone but I've been seeing people say use -5 db test tone. The amp is 3500 watts rms @ 1ohm and the subwoofers are 3500 watts total and wired at 1ohm and I have it at a just clipping a little bit but I wasn't sure if I tuned it with a -5 db if it would be fine for the amp. I also I have a in-line fuse not one on the amp

As stated.. Most used test tone is 40HTZ. There are several Y.Tube Vids to help you through the process with setting your gains, and a search you can download a free test tone or test tones off some audio sites or the Internet itself.

You can get close with tones, but music signal is all OVER the place in both frequencies and voltages. Like, if you listen to rap, the bass line looks like somebody took a lawn mower to the top of a mountain range in a lot of songs.

IMG_5828.png

I've used this table before just with a DMM measuring voltages and using the Re "net" of the subs (final ohm load to amp) to watch voltage spikes while playing songs. So like once you do that enough you can see patterns related to your voltage in the speaker wires from the amp and both Re and impedance to calculate wattage, get an idea while playing multi-toned music, you know, like you would in real life. Maybe get close with the tone, but eventually you'll have to ear tune and just know your system, because music quality is all over the place, kinda like the opposite of clean tone, in a way.

You want power (wattage) so you do V^2 (voltage) / ohm (so like 1 ohm amp load or whatever or you can measure ohms per each tone) while measuring amp voltage output, and that might be able to help you out some. It did with me before. It's more about the ratio of voltage numbers across a frequency bandwidth than the actual wattage calculation.

If your subs aren't stinking after extended play, then you're fine. Better to start low with gains and work your way up. Frequency being played can very greatly change power output/woofer stress and heat, so you gotta know your system.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...