Seeking opinions on "is it worth it" factor, to swap current 2-sub set up on a single

dennismv

Michigan
My current set up is 2 JL Audio 10W3v3-4 10" in a sealed box, and JX1000/1D amp.

Also, JX360/4 for door speakers. It works reasonably well.

My friend is selling off a Sundown Audio Z-12 V.3 D2 12" 1500 Watt RMS Dual 2-Ohm sub only, and I am debating whether I want to get it + look for a new box & amp + installing it all + selling off my current set sub/amp.

Opinions requested!

First, is it worth it at all? Say, if the change to Sundown was $0, and instantaneous, would you suggest doing it?

Now, if the "upgrade" was say $700, and took some work, would you suggest doing it?

What change can I expect if I do the swap? Can I do hair tricks? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

thanks.

it will be $400-ish for the sub, at the least, not including everything else, so I am not sure it will be that worth it (for me).

It seems that upgrading to this sub will require changing everything else aka amps, boxes, wiring, etc.

And if I go that route, there are likely other things I could do first.

And I may do better by investing into a different set up, or just staying with what I have now, as it hasn't been bad.

400 for zv3 used doesn't sound like a real bargain. I'd say a "fair" price would be more like 300$. If you could get it for 200-225 I'd say jump on it.

Can you build your own box or will you need to pay for that as well?

You can probably get louder in a proper ported box but won't necessarily sound better.

400 for zv3 used doesn't sound like a real bargain.
sorry didn't mention it - the condition is new, and unused but it has been sitting around for about a year, which I am thinking shouldn't affect quality that much ..

I would likely pay someone to build a box for me. Not going to try building one myself.

My preference for bass is aiming for "better" rather than "louder". That is, quality over SPL, but I do like the physical vibration effect

sorry didn't mention it - the condition is new, and unused but it has been sitting around for about a year, which I am thinking shouldn't affect quality that much ..I would likely pay someone to build a box for me. Not going to try building one myself.

My preference for bass is aiming for "better" rather than "louder". That is, quality over SPL, but I do like the physical vibration effect
Still not worth 400. You could probably find one broken for

I expect you'd do better buying some EQ or testing new boxes for the subs you have currently if you're not trying to chase numbers or something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.