Second Battery Help ??

DJSlowfets

Senior VIP Member
CA
Just need a second battery in the back to hold up with my amp so im not killing my alternator and so it keeps my voltage up to get that extra bit out of my amp, I understand these are budget batteries but ill only be running 1000wrms. Have 100 amp alt. Of these two which would you pick and why ?? (Dont know much about batteries other than how they measure ca and cca)

My amp(if this helps)= American Bass - PH-4000 MD

Batts im stuck between..

http://www.amazon.com/XS-Power-XP950-Installation-Instructions/dp/B007KTASD8

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_88293_Kinetik-HC1200-BLU.html

In terms of horsepower? I dont care if I lose 10 lol just dont want to be replacing $100 dollar alts every few months because im starving them

@michaellane sells 55ah deka batts for 90 each shipped... cheaper than both the batts you posted lol

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

[quote name='Slo_Ride']adding a second battery actually makes things harder on your alternator[/QUOTE]

yup very true, i can feel the difference in acceleration having two batteries loading it down

Than why do so many on here always say to add a second batt? I finally did, now you say it's more harm? WTF??!!???!
i'm not saying it's more harm, i was attempting to just provide some sort of second opinion to verify that a second battery will in fact load down your alternator more, so will larger amps. whether its more benefit or harm is up to the owner and depends on your goal, HP or amperage.

a battery next to your amp will definitely help. I woudn't buy a kinetic. You can get g34 duracells for like a hundred bucks at sams club. XS is a good choice just pricey. if you don't have a agm under your hood you should get one before getting a trunk battery

the 55ah duracells at sams club are exactly the same as the dekas mike is selling...i have two of them,i have pics, trust me - they're the same battery.

only have side posts instead of top and side

basically what i mean is that now your alt has to charge two batteries, instead of just one. Obviously the alt has to work harder/longer to do this. a second battery helps for when the vehicle is off, but it doesnt help the alt.

In terms of horsepower? I dont care if I lose 10 lol just dont want to be replacing $100 dollar alts every few months because im starving them
Just replqce your front battery with a sealed agm with decent ratings or add a small battery to the back. 1k rms you dont need huge batteries. Let me know if you have any other queztions through PM

basically what i mean is that now your alt has to charge two batteries, instead of just one. Obviously the alt has to work harder/longer to do this. a second battery helps for when the vehicle is off, but it doesnt help the alt.
This is false. A second battery will help when the car is on.

The anericanbass ph4000 is a 2000watt amp. He has 2k power not 1k

adding a second battery actually makes things harder on your alternator
What? Any proof of this whatsoever?

OP, why not go to Sears and buy Platinum Die Hard. Best warranty in the business and you won't have to worry about shipping when or if you ever have to claim on the warranty.

i explained it, not that im saying he was right, or wrong. adding a battery will make it harder on your alternator, period. it'll make it easier on everything else because you'll have less voltage drop but once those batteries need to be charged the alternator now has to run your amp/car AND charge the batteries. when im at idle and accelerating - no music on. and if i was just running full tilt I can tell my batteries are low, and I can also absolutely tell the engine is loaded down to charge them - conservation of energy.

the two go hand in hand, there's really no argument here we think the same thing. we're just coming at it from different aspects, but it is very good to note that adding a battery will help with your vehicle off AND on. now what REALLY adds the most issues to your alternator? huge current draw and low rated bridge rectifiers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is false. A second battery will help when the car is on.The anericanbass ph4000 is a 2000watt amp. He has 2k power not 1k
This is False. Slow_Ride is true.

Adding more batteries is just going to put more of a load on your alternator. This is the exact opposite thing you want to do in your situation.

Just really stop to think about it for a second... where is the power that second battery is using coming from? Itself right? What recharges that battery? The alternator. These aren't Duracell batteries you use till their power is gone then replace them; they must be replenished. Batteries are used to start vehicles and provide juice for when the vehicle is turned off.

If you are really killing alternators every few months you have some other issue going on:

loose alternator belt

tight alternator belt

bad belts

bad pulleys

bad environment (heat, fluids, etc causing your alts to fail prematurely)

crappy alternators (stop going to autozone)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.