SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

the only problem is everyone i heard wit a ported sounded loud but shitttyyyyyy.. im sure if u do it proper it would be good i just dun want my sub sounding like a fart lmao //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy:
my buddies ported sounds amazing, all I can say

the only problem is everyone i heard wit a ported sounded loud but shitttyyyyyy.. im sure if u do it proper it would be good i just dun want my sub sounding like a fart lmao //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy:
If it sounds that bad, then they have either, or any combination of these:

1. They have a crappy ass sub

2. They have one of those stupid best buy pre-fab ported boxes

3. They made a crappy ported box or have the wrong tuning/size

4. The sub that they are using ported was meant to be sealed

5. They are overpowering the sub or giving it a clipped signal

I'm guessing it's probably a combination of all of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

welli heard type r and x both in alpine boxes. the problem might be no highs and trunk rattling like a mofo, really dunno wut i hear more of the sub or the rattle its BAD, but even soooo,

i was told ported is more for hiphop kinda bass

i like hip hop but im more into techno house n stuff altho i would like to hit deep tones

do sealed boxxes usally punch more ??

If it sounds that bad, then they have either, or any combination of these:1. They have a crappy ass sub

2. They have one of those stupid best buy pre-fab ported boxes

3. They made a crappy ported box or have the wrong tuning/size

4. The sub that they are using ported was meant to be sealed

5. They are overpowering the sub or giving it a clipped signal

I'm guessing it's probably a combination of all of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

i was told ported is more for hiphop kinda bassi like hip hop but im more into techno house n stuff altho i would like to hit deep tones

do sealed boxxes usally punch more ??
You can port high, more for hip hop, or you can port low also //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. But for the type x i would go with whatever dbfan says, he knows more than i do.

OK I know this has been asked a thousand times, but here's my scenario. I have a Toyota double cab and made a custom box for my Apline type R 10. Right now the box is sealed and very small, to fit behind center console and in front of rear seat. The speaker sounds good now but the alpine 5 channel amp cuts out when it basses hard. I have set the gain and up to know just don't turn it up too loud. After reading some posts on sealed boxes that due to the box being too small it is making the amp work harder than it needs to. So heres my question can I just port the box that I have now to get more out of the small box? The box I have now is just under 1 square foot. And the alpine amp is suppling 150 to the speaker. Thanks for any help. AD

OK I know this has been asked a thousand times, but here's my scenario. I have a Toyota double cab and made a custom box for my Apline type R 10. Right now the box is sealed and very small, to fit behind center console and in front of rear seat. The speaker sounds good now but the alpine 5 channel amp cuts out when it basses hard. I have set the gain and up to know just don't turn it up too loud. After reading some posts on sealed boxes that due to the box being too small it is making the amp work harder than it needs to. So heres my question can I just port the box that I have now to get more out of the small box? The box I have now is just under 1 square foot. And the alpine amp is suppling 150 to the speaker. Thanks for any help. AD
Eh, the box doesnt dictate how much power your amp pushes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. Going ported you would need less power for the same output. I didnt like the r sealed at all, or ported that much (not much time on it though). Get a new amp and a new box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

judging from the Type-X's specs, it's a sealed box woofer.
I thought it was much better ported than sealed. Sealed was about 1.2 cubes net. Ported to about 2 cubes net @ 29hz.

No room for another amp. I guess I am going to try porting the box I have if it sounds beter than great. If not I will seal it back up. Do to the space I had to use 1/2 in particle wood and then I fiber glassed it for strengh. Thanks for the help. AD

No room for another amp. I guess I am going to try porting the box I have if it sounds beter than great. If not I will seal it back up. Do to the space I had to use 1/2 in particle wood and then I fiber glassed it for strengh. Thanks for the help. AD
what size is the box now? You do realize a ported box will need to be much larger, dont you?

Well thats what I have read but was hoping that this would work. If you think I'm wrong tell me now before I cut a hole in my box and just make things worse.

Well thats what I have read but was hoping that this would work. If you think I'm wrong tell me now before I cut a hole in my box and just make things worse.
How big is the box? You realize to port it, there are other things to do....than just cut a hole //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

yes I do and have read the post on this thread not that I understand them all right now but I will do my homework before I just go cutting holes or at least thats what i am trying to do know "my homework". I would say that it is around 3/4 sq. ft. of air space. the speaker just fits with not much room to spare.

yes I do and have read the post on this thread not that I understand them all right now but I will do my homework before I just go cutting holes or at least thats what i am trying to do know "my homework". I would say that it is around 3/4 sq. ft. of air space. the speaker just fits with not much room to spare.
If you're gonna go ported, you'll need a wayyy bigger box. Also that small ass box with that lil ass bit of power= //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif.

the box is 8x11x13. minus the 1/2 in wood.
Dude after the sub, that think is like .35 cubic feet lol. You should just look at getting an 8" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...