SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

Where are you talking about? Under the driver seat? I have an 03 double cab. No little sorrage box that will hold a 10". But if you know hook me up because I can make anything out of fiberglass. Thanks for the replay AD
sorry it has taken so long to get back.... My fathers truck had the little jumpseats. (you did say this was an extra cab right?) When you lift the drivers side rear jumpseat there is a little storage box/tool compartment. I just sealed it off and created a baffle up top and counter sunk the sub for protection, it ended up just under .90 cube foot.

Certainly not the best way to install but it make PaPa happy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Also, keep in mind that the real world vented enclosure will tune lower than predicted. That Kicker when loaded in an enclosure and begins having real power touch its VC, the box tuning will fall to somewhere near 34-35 Hz.
When designing an enclosure for a super sub, say a Titanium or W7, you must design the box with tuning about 6-7 Hz higher than desired. If you ever modeled the 32 Hz tuned vented enclosure for the W7 on JL's website, you will see that it is tuned at 38 Hz.

Does anyone else agree with this? If so, my Eclipse TIs are really ported around 26hz?

can someone explain this to me? the specifications for the alpine type x say it needs a 11"x1" vent, and a "slot vent length of 27in"... but the external dimensions for the recomended inclosure makes it very clear that the box isnt 27" in any direction. i dont get it.

All i gotta say when it comes to sealed vs ported, ported wins out. I've had a couple setups with with sealed and ported boxes and for some reason in my car ported always had a flatter resonse the sealed. Sealed just don't get loud where it matters and thats between 30-50hz especially in a trunk car. If the ported box is tuned correctly it has way better low end with no audible loss in sq.

can someone explain this to me? the specifications for the alpine type x say it needs a 11"x1" vent, and a "slot vent length of 27in"... but the external dimensions for the recomended inclosure makes it very clear that the box isnt 27" in any direction. i dont get it.

your allowed to make turns on that there port.... usually an L shape...

Ha, funny last post here was made on my B-day.

Anyways, besides having lower notes is there ANY reason to have a ported over sealed? Why does it seem like everyone one is making a ported box? Like almost everyones pictures I have seen have had ported boxes.

A sealed box rolls off at about 12db/octave below f3, relatively shallow, whereas a ported box rolls off at about 18-24db/octave past f3, pretty sharp. The sealed box will give you alot of usable bass in the very low range, mid 20's and down, where in most automotive ported boxes, this low bass would be diminished or absent. A sealed box almost certainly gives you a smooth frequency response unless built too small, in which you will start gaining a midbass peak, so from a musical standpoint, they sound good because they are predictable, and you won't have a narrow band of a frequencies that are way too loud, or one-note-bass as in the case of a ported box tuned for output. The benefit of the ported box, besides output, is extra energy in the low frequencies, but I wouldent say they play lower. If you design a ported box for low frequency extension, not SPL, you can choose a sub and box to give the system an almost flat response, down to the port tuning frequency, where it drops sharply. In my opinion; a ported box tunned high for SPL. For the flattest response, a ported box tuned low with the correct sub. For the absolute lowest sub-bass frequencies or inaudible notes, the large sealed box. And as for group delay...

need help for an idea for a sub box for a 2x 10 inch pionner ts-w250c sub to put in a pontiac transport 98, an not taking the hole trunk... Is it possible to make a false floor in the trunk to put the sub in it???

Thank for the advise

Benoit

any chance you guys have had any experience with modifying a vented into a sealed...?I kinda want the box to stay put were it is in the car. (i.e. not modifying lengths of wiring or changing the layout) but i would like to hear it sealed. problem is its two 15's in a box that takes up about all of my backseat and 10% of the trunk as well. Basically i want to know if i can reconfigure the values of the box(volume) and then place a removable baffle in. ever heard of this?

if you want to(feel the bass,sealed) as far as SPL i have built 4th orders that made simple ported look like a tweet. but it takes alot to design these enclosers, most shops(almost all) dont have the acoustical know how to build these enclosers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...