SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

then go sealed ^well now for me if i tune my box to lets say 27hz 4cuft will it play like a sealed put more output ???

then go sealed ^well now for me if i tune my box to lets say 27hz 4cuft will it play like a sealed put more output ???
Im basically wondering the same thing..

Like right now my Kicker CVR is in a 1.25 sealed prefab, but if I can build a ported that won't sound bad but will be louder it will be worth it.

i was trying to build a box and have a unique look to the trunk area. in building a box does the sub need to "see" all air inside of the box? and in ways of mounting can the sub be mounted with the magnets outside of the box with the front facing inwards and still achieve the same results and sq? also how would i translate dimensions for a slot port to dimensions for a round port? thanks for your help

Im basically wondering the same thing..
Like right now my Kicker CVR is in a 1.25 sealed prefab, but if I can build a ported that won't sound bad but will be louder it will be worth it.

Then go ported //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

in building a box does the sub need to "see" all air inside of the box?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

No idea what you are asking. The sub needs to have adequate airspace. How much that is will depend on the sub.

and in ways of mounting can the sub be mounted with the magnets outside of the box with the front facing inwards and still achieve the same results and sq?
Yes

also how would i translate dimensions for a slot port to dimensions for a round port?
By figuring the cross-sectional area of the slot port, then using a round port with the same cross-sectional area. The formula for finding the cross sectional area of a circle is A = Pi * r^2

So, if the slot port calculations call for 50sqin of cross-sectional area, you could use a 4" round port (A = 3.1416 * 4^2 = 50.23 square inches)

OK. Let me put it this way.

Like i said, right now it is in a 1.25 pre fab sealed box.

I have room for up to a 3 cf box

Power is not a concern

what do you suggest?

If i built a ported box it would be probably 2.0 cf or 2.25 cf (both after displacement).. the tuning I would just have to figure out

When I got my sub, I mainly just wanted to hear and feel my bass. I don't want something that is going to be one note or make my music sound worse, but SQ isnt a huge thing to me. This is my first sub, and I don't even think I would be able to notice the difference between two subs in SQ. What do you suggest?

Is there anything wrong with their designs? I was going to use either their 2.0 cf or 2.25 cf design, but just figure out how to make the tuning lower, instead of their 40 oz.

Then why do most people tune lower?
I was actually recommended by some other users to tune to around 32 hz..

What do YOU reccomend?

Also, keep in mind that the real world vented enclosure will tune lower than predicted. That Kicker when loaded in an enclosure and begins having real power touch its VC, the box tuning will fall to somewhere near 34-35 Hz.

When designing an enclosure for a super sub, say a Titanium or W7, you must design the box with tuning about 6-7 Hz higher than desired. If you ever modeled the 32 Hz tuned vented enclosure for the W7 on JL's website, you will see that it is tuned at 38 Hz.

sorry to rephraze the question that i asked.... usually when a subwoofer is mounted the rear of the sub, the magnet is inside of the box. if the subwoofer is instead mounted with the magnet on the outside of the box with the cone facing the inside is the performance of the subwoofer changed? by performance i mean sq, and frequencies and power handling. are certain subs not even designed to be mounted this way? if so where can i find this information i already checked the manufacturer's website.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...