Reconing Sub Vs Enclosure Question

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Right now im on the fence about what i want to do. One of my options are as follows:

I can sell one of my 15's and keep the other. If i do this i want to take the 15 that i keep and use the motor to build into a 18, but with custom recone parts and not from AQ/SQ. So with this being said. I know that the "Stock" hdc3 subs like larger enclosures. If i rebuild, only using the Hdc3 motor, will this still require me to build the enclosure by the AQ/SQ specs for thier hdc3 subs?

Hope this makes sense to what im meaning,

Thanks

The soft parts you chose will alter enclosure specs. However, if you are still wanting to put power to a single driver they will likely want close to the same enclosure...

So building and testing would be the answer.

The soft parts you chose will alter enclosure specs. However, if you are still wanting to put power to a single driver they will likely want close to the same enclosure...
So building and testing would be the answer.
ok i understand. i was just curious. because ive been told in the past, that with more power you can use a smaller size enclosure because it helps with controlling the sub(s) better then with a larger enclosure. And i am going to be running my bc3500 either @ 1 ohm or .5 ohm depending on which coil config i chose. It will also be more and likely a flat wound "aluminum" voice coil as well, not sure if im going with 4 or 8 layer yet.

It depends greatly on how the sub it built. Some times less volume and more port is the answer...other times the opposite..other times a lot of both are needed.

It depends greatly on how the sub it built. Some times less volume and more port is the answer...other times the opposite..other times a lot of both are needed.

hm.... well i guess ill just have to do a bunch of testing unless whoever i get the parts from can recommend a certain sized enclosure or anything

You can always have someone pull TSPs for you once it is rebuilt, or obtain some software and hardware, from Dayton for instance (Woofer Tester), and do it yourself.

I bet sending your motor and basket off to someone to have it reconed and pulling TSPs for you before sending it off back to you, will be the cheapest route for you. But if I were you, I'd obtain some testing equipment. Because, well, it sure is fun grabbing random drivers out of the collection and pulling TSPs off of them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can always have someone pull TSPs for you once it is rebuilt, or obtain some software and hardware, from Dayton for instance (Woofer Tester), and do it yourself.I bet sending your motor and basket off to someone to have it reconed and pulling TSPs for you before sending it off back to you, will be the cheapest route for you. But if I were you, I'd obtain some testing equipment. Because, well, it sure is fun grabbing random drivers out of the collection and pulling TSPs off of them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

calling me slow but im not sure what TSP means....

Theil/Small parameters.

QTS, Qms, Qes, Fs, Vas,

the list goes on. they determine how the driver will behave in diferent enclosures and the drivers frequency range, among other things.

Matt

If you want to get one tested just hit me up. I will be happy to help out.

It won't tell you everything you need to know, but it will get you going in the right direction though.

You really should be asking these questions to the person who will be doing the recone for you. They should be able to answer you best.

But if chasing numbers you will be building/testing several boxes no matter what....

You really should be asking these questions to the person who will be doing the recone for you. They should be able to answer you best.
But if chasing numbers you will be building/testing several boxes no matter what....
i understand... I was just kind of curious about that. I wasnt sure so i figured id ask. But ill ask who ever i get to make the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.